ZX electrics

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

skypilot

ZX electrics

Post by skypilot »

I've just finished replacing the heater maxtrix in my ZX TD. Not a nice job at this time of year when you don't have a garage.I now have two electrical gremlins: 1. the airbag warning light is flashing. 2. the central locking doesn't work - its the "manual" central locking, not "remote". It looks like I haven't connected up some wiring. Any ideas gratefully received!
AthlonZX
My Cars:

Post by AthlonZX »

Hi there skypilot
The first area I would check is the security of the connectors that go onto the back of the fuseboard by the steering column. I was quite lucky when I did the heater matrix in my ZX as the only casultys were a few dash bulbs [B)]. Cant say much about the air-bag connectors as I dont have one
Good Luck [:)]
AthlonZX (Dave)
Citroen ZX Aura K-1993 TD 133968 miles [:)]
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Air bag connector might not be plugged back in to the loom, similarly with the central locking you might not have plugged in the control box, its below the right hand fascia vent behind the dash.
Dave
skypilot

Post by skypilot »

Thanks for the suggestion about the connector behind the fascia, the central locking is now working. However, I've checked the airbag connections and they seem ok. There are 2 male connectors near the fusebox, one with 2 blue wires and one with 2 green wire but I can't see any female connectors to plug them into. I can't bear the prospect of taking the fascia off again to check the airbag wiring. As a last resort is it possible to fit the steering wheel from an older ZX which doesn't have an airbag?
wilkobob
My Cars:

Post by wilkobob »

Cant see any problem sticking a steering wheel from a none air bag model in, should still fit the same. Did you disconnect the battery when you did the job? If not, you may not have de avtivated the air bag system, and as far as i know, its a dealership job to sort it. I havent had the dash out of an air bag equipped zx, so not sure what wiring is involved.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Airbag connectors typically have orange connectors and the ribon cables are protected by a fancy plastic mesh sleeve, making identification of these cables unmistakable from the rest, have another look but if you find such a cable disconnected, uncouple the battery for 10 minutes before connecting it, and if/when you do, keep away from the airbag while doing so.
The airbag is there to stop you nutting the wheel and keeping your rib cage away from it should the worst happen, could be a life saver for you so sort it out, instead of taking the easey option like so many that ask for help on here.
Dave