Internal Fan and temperature Sensor

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

kipkenya
My Cars:

Internal Fan and temperature Sensor

Post by kipkenya »

I've got an intermittent problem with the internal fan. Some times it works, some times not. I thought it might be the fan. Pulled it out but appears OK.
My question is. Where is the relay for it. And where is the cabin temperature sensor.
Also anyone no where the air con control box is?
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I take it you are talking about a Xantia? If so there is no relay for the fan, it is fed directly from the ignition switch, which is well known to cause problems so start looking there (excess heat etc).
The cabin temperature sensor is behind the alarm LED and the aircon control box aka 'Bitron unit' is behind/below the nearside headlight, a right pig to get access to.
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

My fan is intermittent - I've found that giving the fan a firm 'whack' up under the glove box at the passenger side often 'wakes up' it up. I'm currently taking a break from peering upwards from the passenger foot well to try and figure what the problem is. Initital diagnosis is poor connection between the larger red cable and the fan, the connectors look to have been rather warm at some time and the spade connector has assumed a blackened look. I was thinking of all the horror stories, ignition switch, bitron unit (which I wouuldn't recognise if one fell on me) or even replacement fan - but I'm fairly sure my problem is simply a poor connection. Its usefull to train 'her indoors' in the gentle art of 'fan whacking' - well it gives her something constructive to do and a break from 'back seat driving'.
kipkenya
My Cars:

Post by kipkenya »

I'm getting conflicting information. Perhaps I should also say I have air con and climate control. The only diagram I can find in the Haynes Book ( an almost worthless publication with almost no real information) shows a relay, but this is for 1998 on.
Addition of a relay the best method and run the relay from say the cigarette lighter?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Citroën heater fans that work when whacked usually have come to the end of their brushes.
//NiSk
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

NiSk - I'll bear that in mind - are the brushes readily available or is it a case id getting a new unit ? If I can fix for a couple of pounds thats got to be preferable to forking out £100 +vat (and this is GSF price) for a new fan.