Xsara with a vandalised wing mirror...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Tuftus
My Cars:

Xsara with a vandalised wing mirror...

Post by Tuftus »

[:(!]
Some drunken scumbag has wrecked my n/s wing mirror on my pride n joy...
However I may be able to glue it all back together and save my no claims bonus, my question is this...
I keep hearing about the Xsara having some fancy wiring system (multiplex I think it was) and the Haynes B.O.L says to disconnect the battery before removing the mirror as it is electric...
I am fine with that, but when I got the car I did not get the card with the radio code, however the dealer assures me that the Xsara does not have codes for the radio.
Will disconnecting the electric mirror without disconnecting the battery to allow me to glue it all back together in the warmth of my home cause me issues with the wiring / software / radio code (just in case the dealers feeding me b/s)?
If the above will be ok, has anyone got any good tips on removin the interior panel to allow access to the 3 screws for the mirror without making the interior look like its been bodged? [:D]
Cheers,
Andy
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If it's a Mk1 Xsara you'll be alright just unpluging the mirror with out battery disconnection. As for the trim panel over the screws, Be very gentle but firm in pulling / pring away from the door. They're only a push fit but the lower mounting lug has a habbit of breaking off. Don't worry about it though, new ones only cost about £5 from the main dealer. Had to replace my NS mirror on my first Xsara after some 4X4 on an empty carpark ran in to it, and again on my new Xsara after the garage door frame jumped out and hit both side on different days. For further note the mirrors are avalible at GSF but the colour body cover is only avalible at the main dealer. Got mine for £75 which is loads cheaper than the dealer. Give them a call if needed as depending on stock they can be as little as £45.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

Thanks for the reply Stuart...
GSF are out of stock hence the glueing excercise as a stop gap (mainly because it looks pants with it wrecked!!!)
My Xsara is a mk2 if that helps (hence the question re the wiring)... probably could glue it in situ in the street but thought that I would do it indoors as Araldite cures better in the warm in my experience...
Cheers,
Andy
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I don't know about the electrical issues with your particular car, but in my experience Haynes reccommend you disconnect the battery before doing anything electrical on any car. I can honestly say I wouldn't bother and don't as a general rule unless doing airbag work etc.
That said if my haynes manual pointed out that the battery should be disconnected specifically because of fancy wiring then I would take heed.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

If your struggling a mate at work did go to a Citroen main dealer and was surprised as to the price but still far more than GSF. There's a couple of breakers in Birmingham if you're interested. Mainly Xantias and ZX's. I'll find the details at work this week but it may help if you have a look at www.yell.co and search for a breakers / garages in Ledsham street, Ladywood, Birmingham. Also you could try www.moderncitroenservices.co.uk
I'm a couple of T&G Union training courses over the next few months so don't get in to the office untill Wednesdays. Hope this helps.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

Cheers for all the advice...
I have managed to glue it up for now, not a great job but it looks better than it did.
Last night before going to Bed 3 yobs walked up the street and broke off several wing mirrors so it looks like I had better get a spare mirror in stock (or a baseball bat).
Could anyone confirm if GSF p/n N88288 is the correct one for the Xsara mk2 and has the external temp sensor in it?
Cheers,
Andy
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Don't think that part number is right for a base ball bat. Should read part number L.i.t.t.l.e.s.h.i.t.s 1.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

LOL @ Stuart McB!!!!
I will place the order for that part No straight away!!!!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

multilplexing started in xsaras in the late mk1 models so your car will be multiplexed,that is correct about the radio codes,multiplexed radios are coded to the chassis number so they do not have radio codes.as for disconecting the battery its really up to yourself but i personally wouldnt bother.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

Interesting re the radio...
Does that mean that I could not just upgrade to a CD player even if it is a original citroen one?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

if you put a new citroen CD player in it has to have the chassis number programed into it using a citroen diagnostic machine,if you dont the radio/CD player will still work but you will get a loud annoying beep noise every couple of seconds.
Tuftus
My Cars:

Post by Tuftus »

Cheers Wheeler,
Before bidding on this ebay item....
Does anyone know how much main dealers charge to do this?
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

id say it would probably cost around 0.4 of an hour.
you do not need to re code if you are fitting an aftermarket radio (you would probably get a better one for less money).only problem is the display above the radio wont fully work & neither will the steering wheel controls (unless you get an adaptor)
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Tuftus</i>

Could anyone confirm if GSF p/n N88288 is the correct one for the Xsara mk2 and has the external temp sensor in it?
Cheers,
Andy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
It won't have the temp sensor in it as this would be a separate part. Take the one out of the old mirror.
Also try Neat www.parts4peugeot.com and ........................
Both do Citroen bits.
Brilec
My Cars:

Post by Brilec »

It seems this system will not let me name the other company, sorry.