xsara back box

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

drpau
My Cars:

xsara back box

Post by drpau »

My back box has been blowing around the weld where the box meets the pipe and I used a bit of that filler putty stuff while I decide what to do, I was considering buying a back box from GSF and fitting it myself, it cant be that hard but when Ive been at the exhaust centre Ive seen they often have to use a blow torch to get exhausts off, so my question is would I have to go to all this trouble or would it come off no trouble?
There is a big difference in the price at an exhaust fitters and the price I can buy just the back box for from GSF or eurocp etc so if its not too hard I'd rather DIY as dosh is tight at the minute...
Cheers fellas,
Paul
Philjw
My Cars:

Post by Philjw »

I can't speak for Xsara in particular but the ease or difficulty of getting exhausts apart is determined by the type of joint between the pipes. Xantia boxes have mating bevelled flanges encircled by a split clip. If yours is like this then you should have no problems providing you can get the bolt which tightens the clip undone. Liberal use of a penetrating oil will normally sort that out. You might also need to devise a way of opening the circular clip.
I'd say go for it.
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Same as Philjw…
I've done the complete system on my Xantia and I found the easiest method was to match up & buy connecting U-bolts in advance, in case you need to cut with hacksaw because of rust… and if you don’t need them you’ve got some spares!! The pipes usually come apart with a light pull/knock with rubber mallet. Back box connection can be a sod to undo/redo but it’s not rocket science.
Not a nice place to work and some patience is needed because like me, you may find pipes don’t go back exactly where the originals came from and you need to tinker *!$^# [xx(]
Lots of money saved though. [:D]
Cheers
Steve
Ps. Why I do mine: Went to KwikFart 6 times to correct a mid-section blow and knew I could do better!
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I would just add one more thing-when you put the new one on, use a bit of washing up liquid on the mounting rubbers- it makes it a whole lot easier!!!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Gonna have a bash myself then, like you say Steve it aint rocket science and if I hit it hard enough its gonna come off![:D]
If the bolts are rustier than a rusty thing, then great - it will give me a chance to get my new dremel thingy on the go.
Should save myself 40 squids (was quoted £95 at exhaust place iirc[B)] !)
Was suprised to see that GSF was £10 more expensive than E.C parts [:(]
Cheers for the tips anyway!
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

ahh yes washing up liquid, I think I remember a guy on a tv prog' using washing up L when he was fitting some new bushes to an old Capri, like a knife through butter (once he'd put it in a vice anyway! [8D])
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

if you spray the bolts with wd40 for a couple of days before you do it they will come of easier
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Make sure you'er comparing like with like. Some of the cheap exhausts are absolute rubbish.
I've had problems with fitting and longevity with Timax, whereas Bosal just bolt right on and last a lot longer, years longer in fact.
What's a tenner over the life of the exhaust?
drpau
My Cars:

Post by drpau »

Yes the one at e.cparts is a timax, not sure about the GSF one as it doesnt say, just says rear silencer, maybe GSF have got someone knocking 'em out of their garden shed? Suppose your right you have to compare like with like.
sbraud
My Cars:

Post by sbraud »

Dremel and Christmas go together like... ``Hey why didn't I get one of those for Xmas dear''
Oh well... have fun! [;)]
Cheers
Steve
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by drpau</i>

Gonna have a bash myself then, like you say Steve it aint rocket science and if I hit it hard enough its gonna come off![:D]
If the bolts are rustier than a rusty thing, then great - it will give me a chance to get my new dremel thingy on the go.
Should save myself 40 squids (was quoted £95 at exhaust place iirc[B)] !)
Cheers for the tips anyway!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">