Fuel Filter - ZX TD

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dmcclymont

Fuel Filter - ZX TD

Post by dmcclymont »

Hi,
Would I need to bleed the `high pressure` side of the system if I change this, or just use the little hand pump with the ignition on as the Haynes Manual says.
I have never done this job before and I do not feel confident to start un-screwing unions and such like :-)
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

This one is a really easy. I remember feeling trepidation when i first changed mine but they really are a doddle.
There is no need to bleed the high pressure side of the fuel system, just prime the circuit using the rubber bulb when you are finshed.
Before you start place some rags around the base of the filter housing and clutch bell housing to protect against any spills - it is quite easy to spill a little diesel.
When you have put the new filter in, tighten the top of the housing up in diagonal opposites - that is tighten the top left hand screw first then the bottom right, then the top right and finally the bottom left.This will ensure that you do not pinch the rubber sealing ring on the new filter.
I think it is a 4 or 5 mm allen key on most filter housings.
Prime the circuit and you are ready to go. The engine will sometimes surge a little bit on start up but this is normal.
This is genuinely a 5 minute job. Good luck!
Sl4yer
My Cars:

Post by Sl4yer »

If the hose to the fuel pump is still the original braided one, its probably worth replacing that when you do the filter. The originals harden with time and can crack on the inside, giving an air leak.
dmcclymont

Post by dmcclymont »

Thanks for the advice, I feel a lot more confident to change it - so do I need to drain the filter like the Haynes Manual says ??
paranoid
My Cars:

Post by paranoid »

I never have, but do have a few rags handy to soak up the small spillage when you lift the top off.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

it really is that easy. rags for spliage, undo the allen caps, remove and replace filter, tighten down allen caps and then prime with hand pump. [:D]
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Sorry forgot to mention. When priming undo the tiny plastic valve at the base of the filter housing so that the air can be passed through.
Paulee
My Cars:

Post by Paulee »

and don't forget to clean the bottom of the filter housing out whilst you are in there....