clutch

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

jason

clutch

Post by jason »

would the clutch on my xantia be heavier than my vectra?
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Yes!
Especially if the cable is nearing replacement. Robin
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Presumably this is the TD clutch you are on about, if so the news is not good, these are the pull type and are well noted for going heavy anywhere after 50k miles, when new they are nice and light, new cables can lessen the effort required to operate them a bit but wont cure the problem, the only thing that cures it properly is having the box out and stuffing a new clutch in.
Your other post in which Anders says the release bearing is wearing grooves into the release plate is refering to a conventional clutch as on the n/a diesels.
Some have said that the cables dry up with heat from the exhaust, fact is the cable is nowhere near the exhaust.
Dave
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The clutch on mine has always been heavy since i got the car(3yrs).About 4 times as heavy as my Dads Pug 406 HDI.Never had any probs though.
crapday
My Cars:

Post by crapday »

another thing about Xantia clutches, There is a plastic clip on the end of the cable (I think it's at the pedal) that has a habit of snapping if your clutch is heavy and ready to go. Mine went twice and it cost £125 to fix, £3 parts £122 labour, they have to strip down the pedal assembly. So if your clutch is going get it sorted. Citroen wanted £590 for a clutch but I went to Citroen Services in Glasgow and had it done for £260 supplied and fitted with a 3 year guarantee.
lexan
My Cars:

Post by lexan »

I fitted a clutch clip to a Xantia for a mate of mine. Took me about 2 and half hours, got me a box of stella for doing it...am I a good mate or stupid[?][:)]
davek-uk
My Cars:

Post by davek-uk »

The clutch clip certainly is a bugger to fit - not technically difficult but damn inaccessable. I'm pleased I fitted a metal clip replacement (now 16k miles ago) as I don't want to have to do that again in a hurry.
I sprayed WD40 down the cable when I did the clip and it made the clutch lighter for a while. I'm thinking of squirting some gearbox oil down the sleeving for lubrication - when I get around to it. The clutch isn't excessivly heavy (not like the AX) but if lubrication eased it once it can do it again!