ZX CV Boot replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

arry_b

ZX CV Boot replacement

Post by arry_b »

I've just had a quick shufty under the ZX before the MOT later this week, and my drivers side outer CV boot is very perished, but not yet leaking grease.
OK not (yet) an MOT fail, but I'd like to change it before it splits and wrecks the joint.
The HBoL suggests taking the shaft off of the car, but has anyone done one on the car, by swinging the hub out of the way, removing the old cover, then drifting the CV off of the shaft in situ?
Can it be done this way?
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

It's only one more action to take the shaft out and do the job on the bench. That makes it easier to remove the CV and less chance of causing any damage.
mpr1956
My Cars:

Post by mpr1956 »

hi there, i did change my boots (on a 1.9d) by just swinging the strut out of the way as you describe(securing the strut with a tie-wrap), and pulling the old boot back up the shaft then tapping the cv joint free with a soft-headed hammer. after doing the business, i just tapped the cv joint back on and after securing the boot put the whole lot back together. ( I only did it this way to avoid having to replenish the gearbox oil...-lazy sod that i am !)
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

Thanks, mpr1956.
Pleased to report that I did the job in the way I suggested no problems at all. The CV came off the shaft with two taps of my heavy copper mallet.
If anyone else is planning on doing the job make sure you've got a good breaker bar and a heavy duty 35mm socket to undo the hub nut. Normal ratchets wouldn't stand a chance, it's ....T*I*G*H*T....
And take your old boot to GSF / your parts stockist as the ones fitted may not bear any resemblence to what's in the parts catalogues.