Vague Steering

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

rashmore

Vague Steering

Post by rashmore »

At first i put it down to the condition of the roads, but it has become more pronounced.
Whilst travelling in a straight line, if u need to make a slight turn, the wheel has to be turned more than previously normal to get a reasonable ouput, only a few degrees.
Seems to lack feel around this (central) point. Also when cornering hard, again have to steer more to get round. i.e. turn wheel as much as used to and realise will need more input to complete the turn (roads to work everyday)
Would say steering wheel is off cenre when straight (left hand down) but difficult to say as feels vague.
Going to get tracking checked once handbrake fixed - now i've been given the right bag with the right part in it (as oppposed to right bag wrong part), but will give the old girl a once over at the same time. Will check on work previously done (disks calipers ball joints) but what else should i look for.
No audible sounds when steering. All tyre pressures re-checked and in good condition.
If it is the rack is that an expensive/difficult/time consuming job
Seem to be having a run of bad luck. Hopefully this is the third and final thing now that a bird has committed suicide in front bumper [B)] phew diy grill mesh otherwise goodbye radiator
Thanks
Rich
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

I had a similar sensation in my BX when rear arm bearings were worn - effectively giving me a little 'feature' called rear wheel steering (which the BX was not supposed to have). Its worth checking the alignment of the rear wheels - look from the rear of car and if wheels are leaning towards each other e.g /---\ then your rear arms probably need 'fettling'. It was most noticeable if I drove over a man hole cover or similar - car used to deviate just a little - not a lot but enought to notice. Worth a look.
Jon

Post by Jon »

I'd check both track rod ends for play first, one of my ZX had similar problems, cured by changing worn n/s track rod end.