Xantia handbrake

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Xantia handbrake

Post by anno888 »

Hi all,
Took my Xantia in for it's MOT and it failed due to the handbrake applying more than 50% difference in braking forces between the rear wheels (20% braking force to the rear right and 80% to the rear left, or there abouts)
How do I fix this problem??
TheWorker
My Cars:

Post by TheWorker »

thats new - a xantia with rear handbreaks. take it back and tell them the handbrake sets the FRONT wheels
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

So if their applying the handbrake,whats making the rear wheels brake???
Sounds like they might be pulling a fast one.Unless early Xantias had rear handbrake?but i dont think so.
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

No, early ones were on front also.
Had an NCT failure ( Irish mot only a lot worse ) on a 93 TD a few years ago, something similiar, handbrake imbalance, just below the accepable imbalance. Hand brake would hold the car and not let it move. A few weeks later one of the handbrake cable brokes.

Would seem likely that this is the same problem here.
From what I can see, on the earlier Xantias the loops the handbrake cable runs through were only steel which cut into the outer cable ( especially at wheel ) and caused the inner cable to rust and eventually seize. Newer Xantias have a nylon type bush in the handbrake loops.
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

It might be the cable - easy to check it is pulling on with the wheels off, but my Dad had a similar problem with his, and found that water had got in behind the rubber boot on the inside of the caliper and rusted the mechanism out. A repair kit was not too expensive, and fairly cheaply fitted IIRC.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

LOL [:D] Handbrake problem on rear wheels [?] [:D]
Well that says a lot about the I.Q, and the eyesight of the tester.
As they carry out the test they should be actually looking properly at every part of the vehicle they test.
To not realise which axle the handbrake operates on a Citroen, is a very basic mistake. It does not say much for the standard of the test.
What other mistakes might the tester have made, or what else have they overlooked ?
No, I don't think I am being too harsh here.

I am also a tester, I carry out tests on Class 1V, Class V, & Class V11 vehicles. I am also involved with the preperation of a wide variety of commercial vehicles for their "O"- Licence (the 6-8 week safety check) and the annual V.O.S.A. test.
I have tested, and worked on a wide variety of vehicles from kit cars, to S.U.V's, to American cars, and R.V.'s. The variety is what makes it much more interesting, and the most important thing is to keep your eyes open, understand how the vehicle is constructed, use your common sense, and carry out a proper test without making elementary mistakes.