REVEALED--WHAT YOUR CAR SAYS ABOUT YOU.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

ACTIVE8
My Cars:

REVEALED--WHAT YOUR CAR SAYS ABOUT YOU.

Post by ACTIVE8 »

An article in the Evening Standard (London evening newspaper) recently revealed research, about cars and people.
According to this research, and it lists different makes in different personality types, and was carried out by scientists who questioned thousands of motorists.
There are seven different personality types.
Thoughtful:-

Drives-----Saab, Peugeot, Kia, Volkswagen.
Risk-taker:-
Drives-----Audi, Alfa Romeo, Mitsubishi
Aspirational:-
Drives-----BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover, Jaguar.
Conventional:-
Drives-----Volvo, Citroen, Mazda.
Contented:-
Drives-----Honda, Hyundai, Nissan.
Puritanical:-
Drives-----Rover, Daewoo (soon to be Chevrolet), Ford.

Disengaged:-
Drives-----Vauxhall, Toyota, Seat, Mini.
Well Citroens are different, individual, and never have been conventional.
So, as for the drivers being conventional types, well I don't think so ! [:D] LOL [:D]
We are actually risk-takers with different, individual, vehicles.
beezer

Post by beezer »

So where does Renault come? Unless it's with Peugeot that makes me schizophrenic.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

It's sadly probably true about modern Citroens- most people who buy for example a Xsara probably do so because it is a very conventional car, but heavily discounted new and they can't bring themselves to buy cheap far eastern, where the real technological motoring advances are now being made.
Basically its a cheap car, nowhere near as good as say a Nissan Almera, but its got a European name.
I doubt that most modern Citroen buyers have the first clue about the older cars- they may be vaguely aware of the DS as a style icon, and they may remember Maigret's Traction, but thats probably about all.
And Citroen are not exactly emphasising the techno side of the C5-its being sold as a Mondeo alternative on a pile em high, sell em cheap basis!!
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

So where do I stand with a 406 HDi and 1971 Rover P6 V8?
I know it's lighthearted, but it's poo. I went out with a set budget looking for a diesel of a certain size and had there been any about it could just have easily been a C5 or Lauguna diesel in my garage today.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So where do I stand with a 406 HDi and 1971 Rover P6 V8?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">- I don't know, but my BX probably screams CHEAPSKATE! with its streaks of lidl veggie oil and flat red paint!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by beezer</i>

So where does Renault come? Unless it's with Peugeot that makes me schizophrenic.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Renault was not listed at all, so how scientific is the study really?
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Originally posted by bxbodger
And Citroen are not exactly emphasising the techno side of the C5-its being sold as a Mondeo alternative on a pile em high, sell em cheap basis!! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes it's sad that people are not aware of Citroens vast history, and excellent ground breaking new ideas. They end up comparing cars on the purchase price as opposed to the engineering, and ride quality.
So, I guess it's their loss not to find out what Citroens are really like.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"> Originally posted by turbolag
I know it's lighthearted, but it's poo. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Well yes a lot of these studies can come up with a lot of crap, [:)] and as with the first quote I used, they end up omitting various manufacturers, and that should not be the case if they survey several thousand people, as logic dictates that there would be a Renault owner amongst them.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I don't know how they come to these conclusions! So if you change your make of car, suddenly your personality changes?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

'most people who buy for example a Xsara probably do so because it is a very conventional car'
Erm [;)] Not for me mate. I saw the 3 door Mk one when new and thought that's the one for me. I never even thought about technology. As for the older Citroens, my family started with the BX except for dad he was Rover through and through. well he did work for them. My family and some friends have had ZX's, Bx's and the older type with that wierd suspension Cx's and years ago GS and GSA. I think that a lot of people are buying Citroen because as with Alfa Romeo the stigma of poor work manship and crappy materials has changed. Couple this with Merc, BMW and VW being caught out year after year by reliability problems as high lighted in the variuos car magazines and TV shows. People don't want to spend £200 when the head lamps broken they want to pay as little as possible. [:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

There goes active8, stirring everyone up again!
Conventionality sells, weirdness doesn't any more- thats why Ford very rarely get it wrong! Their only recent failure that I can think of is that ugly bug eyed fish faced Scorpio thing!
If you start trying to sell people cars by telling them "its got weird citroen hydraulic suspension" , they will probably run in their droves; tell them "look, its got automatic windscreen wipers!" they're happy!!
Thats how Citroen are selling the C5- as an utterly conventional car.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Ah yes! but don't that new focus look alittle like the C4 in 5 door style? Plus the add on TV must be from the same people as the Citroen adds. They are rubbish. Nothing about the car just some 'artiste' who life has now started [:X]. plonker. Then again we could all be in Rover 25's or is it 200's or is it 45's I just dont know any more.LOL. That range is just so old.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I agree, this is indeed a load of poo. The whole reason I own a Citroen is because it is unconventional. My previous car was a BMW and the one before an Alfa. I must be schizo too.....(or just too skint now to own a BMW or decent Alfa!)
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by TomH</i>

I don't know how they come to these conclusions! So if you change your make of car, suddenly your personality changes?
Well I don't think they actually thought it through properly, because people can, and do change makes of car. So they had as much foresight, and common sense in conducting the survey, as the management at Hoover, who promoted the free flights fiasco.
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bxbodger
There goes active8, stirring everyone up again! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
So, if posting a topic for members to see here on this forum, and having a healthy debate, is stirring everyone up. Then that criticism could be applied to any poster, who will express an opinion or different view, as you have. Touche my friend.
This is a great forum with interesting topics, and healthy debates usually, don't spoil it ! In escence by stating that a poster is stirring it up, then you are also doing the same through the remark ! [:)]
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Originally posted by bxbodger
Conventionality sells, weirdness doesn't any more- thats why Ford very rarely get it wrong! Their only recent failure that I can think of is that ugly bug eyed fish faced Scorpio thing! <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">

Many car manufacturers have made automotive mistakes, and I agree Ford with the Scorpio Ultima made a car with styling that with it's fish eye front design, and long thin slit like rear lights that looked distinctly odd. Apparently they styled it that way more for the American market. Subaru gave the Imprezza the fish eye look, and then quickly realised that customers did not like it, and changed the design soon after.
Ford brought out the Cortina replacement, the Sierra. Due to it's different styling they received a bad press from journalists. Many thought that Ford had made a mistake with the design, but they proved them wrong, sold many vehicles, and actually helped move styling on, and accept something different, just like Citroen have also done with their designs.
The Ford Probe did not sell well, and more units were sold in America, than in the U.K. Another car more suited to their market, and not ours.
Yes, I agree although conventionality does sell, but so does a different, or good design.
There are exceptions like the Smart car which is very different. Also if you look at the A-class from Daimler Chrysler this was another different type of design, which spawned copies from other manufacturers, as did the Renault Espace, when the people carrier design/idea made people realise, that there was a different way of doing things.
The survey like many, seems to be a waste of time, money, and effort.
It's been very interesting reading about other posters thoughts on the subject.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">So, if posting a topic for members to see here on this forum, and having a healthy debate, is stirring everyone up. Then that criticism could be applied to any poster, who will express an opinion or different view, as you have. Touche m<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But my tongue was stuck to my cheek at the time!!!!
I disagree about the Sierra- it may have looked a bit odd at the time, but it was reassuringly very very conventional and old fashioned under the skin-nothing weird like FWD or scareydraulic suspension!! Same with the KA, a bit odd to look at but archaic and therefore comforting beneath the surface- basically its a Mk1 Fiesta.
The Probe is just badly built and looks cheap and tatty very quickly- I have a friend with one and the panel fit is dreadful- we thought it had been in an accident until we saw a couple of others- it was a cheap secondhand buy though, and popular with the ladies!!!! ( he's single....)
The Smart car is a ghastly piece of work-no luggage space, and engine removal in order to change the plugs-what a horror!!! A triumph of trendy urban style over function- the Atoz does small a thousand times better!!!!
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

But my tongue was stuck to my cheek at the time!!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ah OK, but from here looking at the screen, your body language is difficult to read. [:D] I'm smiling by the way. [:)]
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Same with the KA, a bit odd to look at but archaic and therefore comforting beneath the surface- basically its a Mk1 Fiesta.
I think I can safely say there isn't a single common component on these 2 cars. The Ka certainly isn't archaic. They actually drive really well. Yeah, they're slow but they handle brilliantly and as such are a fairly entertaining ride.
(They were actually based on a shortened '95 fiesta platform using an updated 1.3HCS. OK, they had mkII Fiesta wheels, I'll give you that! Nowadays they have a 1.3OHC)
Don't mean to sound shi**y, I just think It's a bit unfair to call it a Mk I Fiesta. I always disliked Fords until I sold them new for 3 years and realised they were actually really good cars to drive. I would still agree that they are run of the mill and as such choose to drive a Citroen (I think I've owned 6 in total out of the 10 years I've been driving!!)
Keep posting!![8D][:)]