xantia 2.0 aux belt what size square hole?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

nigelgarland

xantia 2.0 aux belt what size square hole?

Post by nigelgarland »

Hi all new to this forum with my 95 2.0 8v xantia (aircon)
the haynes joke-book says to relieve the (auto) tensioner using a square key (or words to that effect) before locking in place with a 4mm rod. It doesnt, however, say what size the square hole is! anyone help or do i have to take the car apart to find out I've got the wrong tool?
Nigel
'95 Xantia 2.0 8v Aircon 57K miles
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

It should be 8mm, the same as the size they use on timing belt tensioners, but I found when I did mine that a 12" shifter worked so much better. The reason is that the amount of tension on that spring makes it pretty hard to move without twisting the square bar unless of course you can find an 8mm square attached to a 1/2" drive like a socket.
A word of advice too; be sure to very carefully <b>take note of the belt's route.</b> If not, then I hope you were a "maze" champion at school. We drew a diagram and took pics of it and it still took half an hour to figure which way it went as it goes around a heap of pulleys and will only go one way; something you don't think of before you start, but I was warned about it.
Alan S
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

You too LOL.
I didn't have the forsight to take pictures or make diagrams of the aux belt. 1week later I had no bloody idea how to get it back on, even after 1/2hour of screaming abuse at the car & deciding the belt that I had there most certainly can't have been the belt I removed from the car.
I was at the point where I was going to ring someone else in town and ask to peak under there bonnet when I thought "I'll check the XM shop manual" ..... Perfect a detailed hand drawn diagram of how the b@stard of a belt goes around the pulleys. Guess what it was the right belt and it DID fit, even though I was bloody sure it wouldn't. Only took 30seconds to get the b@stard on with the aid of the diagram.
seeya,
Shane L.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

BTW: I forgot to mention, I found a 3/8ths socket wrench with no socket attached was a perfect size for the square hole in the belt tensioner. NOTE: It's a bloody strong spring, so a nice strong socket bar is ideal!!
seeya,
Shane L.
nigelgarland

Post by nigelgarland »

excellent, should take about 20 minutes then?
Do i need to remove the inner plastic wheel shield thing and wheel or is there a quick way?
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by nigelgarland</i>

excellent, should take about 20 minutes then?
Do i need to remove the inner plastic wheel shield thing and wheel or is there a quick way?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Silly boy; it's a Citroen. No quick way then.
No, the wheel off & out with the inner guard is the way to go. This is the secret of working on Cits I've always found; the quickest way is usually the way that seems the longest; it's some kind of French cultural thing I think....[:D][:D][;)]
Alan S[^]