more reliable,5 yr old Xsara or 3 yr old fridge?

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Stuart McB
My Cars:

more reliable,5 yr old Xsara or 3 yr old fridge?

Post by Stuart McB »

Well as you know the Xsara has now entered my personal record book for not breaking down or anything going wrong since last summer time [:D]. Any how the same can't be said for my blasted just 3 year old fridge. In the time I've had it it's had with in the first 12 months
1 new motor
1 new thermostat
1 new door
All under guarantee. Now in the past 14 months its had
1 new motor
1 new thermostat
Again under the parts guarantee. The last fitter said it was a batch of duff parts (sounds like a Citroen dealer). [}:)]
And yesterday (Saturday) well you guessed it, it broke down [:(!]. Now I couldn't wait for an appointment on Friday between 0930Am and 1600hrs that would coat me £85!!!! as it's a call out. So I had alook and concluded the thermostat was duff again. Bought one £18 for local independant dealer fitted and after a bit of fettling the fridge now works [:)]. The wife is drafting a letter of complaint to Hotpoint about their "shabby work manship" in this case. Any how do you think that old and broken Citroens are now secretly being re-cycled in to new white goods for manufactures like Hotpoint [?]
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

My fridge is now 25 years old - it belonged to my parents before me, went to manchester with me and came back to Preston.
Its made by Pifco and is a lovely fetching institution green inside.
<i>Edit</i>
Forgot to say, has had a new seal to the door only. Still on its original motor. Looks quite cute too.
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Beko or Whirlpool !?
beezer

Post by beezer »

The freezer of our fridge freezer has just died after 20 years. Compressor gave up. Made a terrible noise but it was Hogmanay and we have to wait until middle of this week for a replacement. Fortunately it is a twin compressor model so I could disconnect the freezer one. I doubt if the new one will last 20 years.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

bikeboyz, it's a hotpoint model. Never again. The wifes been told, never again.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

As a retired fridge mechanic, all I can say is, if you think the Hotpoint stuff is a bit rough, just you wait until the Korean and Taiwanese crap hits over there.
We probably would get white goods sooner than you guys due to our hostile climate and some of this stuff, looks alright, reads alright, but try and find a parts dealer when it goes wrong or worse still, see if you can find anyone who can even fix it.
Wiring sealed inside the isulation, electrical parts (defrost heaters) permanently attached to gas lines making a small job a major operation...............ohh you lucky boys and girls really don't know what little thrills they have got in store for you.
Over here these days, European appliances are the safest bet by a country mile. Might be a bit dearer, but look to at least 4 times the life expectancy (which if you're having a rough trot with Euro appliances is cold comfort.)
Alan S
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

But in real terms white goods are cheaper than ever- when my DVD packed up I just went and paid £30 for a new one! Sainsburys have 25 quid microwaves- our first one was over a ton!!
If you have a £200 washing machine and only get 2 or 3 years out of it, its still cheaper than going to a launderette,and look how cheap a really good TV or VCR is now!!!
TV rental hardly exists now, its so cheap to buy one.
We don't tend to get much Taiwanese stuff in the UK- its mainly Chinese- they are cheap yes, but not nasty so much now-my £35 chinese made pressure washer is excellent, much better than it has any right to be at that price. I know I won't be able to get bits for it when it does expire, but Its replacement will be better spec, and it will only probably be 25 quid!!!!!
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

My microwave is a Sharp model from approx 1890. It,s mega old and is the size of an old 26 inch TV (none flat screen that is) never broken down just keeps doing its job.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

My microwave is a Sharp model from approx 1890. It,s mega old and is the size of an old 26 inch TV (none flat screen that is) never broken down just keeps doing its job.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Wow - Stuart - a 19th C Microwave! I am <b>impressed!</b> Before radio, even!
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

I had one of those old TV microwaves. It didn't have a turntable either. I got a new one when it made a better job of cooking what was adjacent to it rather than what was inside it.......(ok, that bit's not true) My £25 Hyngujibitsuji or whatever it is, is a little gem.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

uhn113x, mate it is that old [:D]. So old infact that when the wife wrote to Sharp UK a few years ago they replied with "congratulations we are glad that you are happy with our product," When was the last time you had a customer service letter that was this polite [?] Best was they conceeded that our microwave though now over 25 years old was not the oldest Sharp model still in evey day use. Apparently some biddy in the deep south of America has one left over from the super early days in the 40's. It also lands planes at a near by air field for the millitary, and every one for a 40 mile radius is sterile [:D]
Saying that may be the microwaves are responsible for f***ing up the fridge? it sits on top of it. Hmmmmmmm.
beezer

Post by beezer »

Well the new fridge/freezer has arrived. It is a Hotpoint so I hope these inverted 'rave reviews' are not true for every model. We need lots of fridge space now because our baby daughter arrived at 11pm Wednesday. Expect even more gibberish from Beezer over the next few days.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Congratulations on the birth of your daughter. Mon ami. [:)]
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Est ce c'est ton Ami 6 ou 8? :)
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Congrats from Mrs McB and me mate.