ZX Driveshafts

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

damo68
My Cars:

ZX Driveshafts

Post by damo68 »

I want to replace the driveshafts on my 1994 ZX 1.9TD and ordered replacements from a breakers. They have sent through a couple of Peugeot 306 TD shafts. The splines all match up and they fit into the gearbox and hubs OK but I can't seem to get the lower wishbone balljoint back together on the driver's side. I did the passenger side but it was much harder than before. I think that the 306 shafts may be slightly longer. I'd welcome any advice or guidance on this before I waste any more time...
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Had a look in my local suppliers online catalogue.
Neither the ABS/non-ABS outer CVjoint for D/TD 'is the same for ZX & 306 in the '91-'96 year model range.
Therefore I'm quite sure the complete driveaxle wont be compatible either.
The fact that you have trouble fitting the lower swiveljoint is also a sure pointer.
I suggest you immediately stop any further work and return these driveaxles for a refund. You may tell your supplier in goold old British sarcasm what you think about their compatibility knowledge on parts [}:)]
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Mmmm I learnt that lesson with a Peugeot 405 TD 1994 L reg and an Xantia TD 1994 L reg. The xantia shafts although both the same size fitted the CV joint DOES NOT go into the hub bearing properly!!, If your CV joint are ok, try putting your ZX CV joints on to the 306 Shafts, unless your ZX's are totally snuffed up..
Paul