Questions about HP cits - pleeease[:)]

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Questions about HP cits - pleeease[:)]

Post by 406 V6 »

Fellas, what makes an HP Cit wobble when:
a) accelerating while describing a turn;
b) moving straight ahead at low speed (2nd gear) and accelerating;
c) after height change, though it doesn't make it after a dynamic height change, i.e. with the car moving at a steady pace or small acceleration.
Thanks[:)]
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Possibly a drive shaft problem. My Xantia is dooing it at the moment, it complete wobbles while accelerating, and thats the whole dash/front end.
I had this not so long ago, and it was slightly worse, as the gear stick wobbled too, this turned out to be the PASSENGER side drive shaft. I now think my drivers side shaft is playing up.
Will get round to swapping it one day.
Paul
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I had a CX that did it almost exactly as described. In that instance, it was a combination of a very soft lower engine mount and the height being slightly too high.
Alan S
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Mmmm Thats a cheaper thought AlanS, the front of my Xantia is a little over height, after my Plastic Height Corrector to Anti roll bar link broke and I replaced it. Should try lowering the height first..
Paul
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

The reason the height can have a bearing on the wobbling, is that at a different height, the drive shaft sits at a different angle between the hub and the transmission and if too high tends to run on the edge of the CV joint in a manner of speaking.
Alan S
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The thing is, it doesn't make it always. Sometimes its imperceptible others (until i stop, lower, then rise it again dinamically) it seems to be on the edge of falling apart.
I took the C5 the other day to the dealer, and nothing, just a made it a bit while starting to move on a junction, but the mechanic said it to be normal[?]
Having different spheres makes no difference to it as only the dampenning is softer.
I'll try and go again to citroën tomorrow.
Oh, one more thing, could torque steering lock be due to the shaft not beeing ok?
Thank you once again[:)]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Jack each corner in turn, and spin the wheel- look for an out-of-round or distorted tyre: often the first symptom of this on a Citroen is a bit of wobble and vibration.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Jack each corner in turn, and spin the wheel- look for an out-of-round or distorted tyre: often the first symptom of this is a bit of wobble and vibration.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The tyres have 2000kms on them, changed by Citroën due to some rim problems. Unfortunatelly, i forgot to see the old tyres profile height on the rear axle (some C5's have an out of true rear axle).
I also suspect it's something to do with the driveshafts...or some balljoint, no?
CommY
My Cars:

Post by CommY »

My dads BX does very similar and it's the lower suspension arm bush (drivers side RHD) being worn that is the current theory. It started as a clonk on braking when reversing it has worsened to a bad wobble which overheats the tyre in a certain spot causing localised overheating of the tyre and eventually a bald spot and large blister. I at first suspected a bad tyre but it had done it with two now so this theroy was discounted. There is no apparent movement of any components withy the car sitting on it's wheels and I haven't jacked it to investigate further. I recon that there is movement of the whole suspension system with the wobble being caused by the wheel being out of balance and this moves the whole assembly causing the tyre wear.
I will keep you posted as to the outcome but the syptoms you describe are very similar.
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Hmm. The clonk on braking whilst in reversde is normal. The overheating tyre is(I'm guessing) on the inside sidewall and is due to the tyre rubbing the handbrake cable.
ScottFromNZ
My Cars:

Post by ScottFromNZ »

My BX clonks a bit while braking lightly in reverse sometimes. No other strange symptoms and because others on here have said it is normal I have ignored it.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Well, yesterday i loaded it with some wall tiles, around 200kgs, maybe less.
Boy, did she wobble like it was falling apart!
It seems to do this with some weight on the boot, an d the front beeing lighter.
I took it to Cit (guees what) and they say a little wobble on curves is normal or even on acceleration (but below 2k rpms and on 2nd gear?!)
Thanks guys
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

If they say its normal, ask them to let you drive their demonstrator to see if that one does it as well!!!
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

All i can find now is MKII's, and Breaks aren't easier to find... and i would have to give it a good load on the trunk to see how close they are [}:)]
I'll try nonetheless