handy brake tip

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

crooser

handy brake tip

Post by crooser »

when replacing front pads on an xm or xantia and you have to wind the piston in on the caliper, slacken the bleed nipple on the relevant caliper until fluid seeps out.the piston will then retract very easy. don't forget to retighten the bleed nipple.
nick
My Cars:

Post by nick »

Its worth using this trick on most other makes too. On some (eg Vauxhalls) the seals in the master cylinder can be damaged by just forcing the pistons back without undoing the bleed nipple first.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

What's the risk of air ingress though? Or do you mean only open the nipple while actually winding the piston and closing it while still pressing it back?
crooser

Post by crooser »

dan,as long as you only open the nipple enough for fluid to drip out air cannot get in.you have to judge it for yourself.the further you open it the easier it is to wind the piston in. i have never had a problem with air in a citroen system in the past,any air is easily removed.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I did this when i changed the front discs on the 406, only to still have an extremely stuborn calliper piston, and enough air in the system to have the brake pedal on the floor to have a decent stop[):]. Needless to say i changed the brake oil the same day at a local garage.
It depends how lucky one gets, really[:I]