Strange noise/squeek

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

np
My Cars:

Strange noise/squeek

Post by np »

I have a strange noise/squeek coming from the front of my car.When i hit some bumps etc,i get a dull noise.Sounds a bit like hitting a loose drain cover,but quite faint.Metalic sounding.Its not the droplinks as i replaced those,& the noise is totally different.The car past the MOT last month ok.When it was on the ramps me & the tester had a good look/feel/push/pull at everything,but could find nothing wrong.No play in anything.
After 36k miles +(36k with me,i dont know when they were done before that),i think the spheres are finally ready for replacement,as the ride is starting to suffer a bit now.I wonderd if that might have a bearing on the noise?The suspension/struts make no noise`s when i adjust the height settings.
Thanks.[:)]
Anyone any thoughts?
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Funny knocking noise just like that on my Xantia that went on for nearly 20k miles turned out to be a track rod end. Eventually got bad enough that I could feel play at the wheel - but ONLY when the car was in normal height - put it in high and the play went away. Passed an MOT with it knocking - I thought it was wishbone bushes, but all went quiet after the new track rod end fitted.
Note that some droplinks supplied from GSF appeared poor quality, and only lasted 10k miles - the ones on my last Xantia being case in point. I believe GSF now supply from Citroen's OE supplier, so should last 100k now!
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Hi Neil
Did you ever sort out this noise ?. I too have something similiar in a 97TD, replaced the droplinks but there is still a rattle. Can feel it coming up through the steering. Its most noticeable on a rough road.
Brian
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

I know on a BX that the rack end can carry on like that. Haven't seen the set up on a Xantia but would imagine it'd be the same.
Alan S
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

A good way to check the track rod ends is to have the steering on full lock (car normal height) giving access to the joint, then tuck your index finger around the joint then back to meet your thumb (like an 'ok' hand sign) squeeze tight then have an assistant wiggle the wheel and you should be able to feel any movement (providing your hands are warm enough!)
Having the suspension on max puts a load on the joint and would require considerable force to notice any movement with leverage.
My car makes a feint metallic 'grating' noise going over speed bumps wich I attributed to slightly dry struts.
My old car (MK I) had a squeak which turned out to be the crude bracket holding the washer resevoir in place wiggling about. Bit of a bugger to get to as well, but made a considerable noise considering how small it was.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

No luck with it so far.Having been on holiday for a week,the car has stood on the drive.Took it out for a spin this afternoon,for the first 5 or so miles,there was no noise at all.Then coming up the road towards my house the noise apeered again.I`ll have another good look when i service it next.Cant hear it when the radio`s on,or at speed,& it drives as it should.So unless i find anything,i`ll put it down to being a "Citroen thing".
BrianM
My Cars:

Post by BrianM »

Neil,
Turned out to be the droplinks again. Passenger side had extensive wear, drivers side not so noticable. Replaced both of these and also the drivers side tie rod ( as there was a little wear) and the noise in mine is gone. Bit disappointed really as the drop links only lasted about 2000 miles before the noise had started to come back !!
Brian
97 Xantia TD 119K
93 Xantia TD SX 215K ( sadly headless !)
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Its due for a service soon so will give it a good check then.Beginning to suspect the droplinks again.Theres a fair bit on the forum about them not lasting long,depending on what make/where you get them from.Will keep ypu informed.
XMplory
My Cars:

Post by XMplory »

My old BX 19 DTR used to make knocking noises over small bumps and was diagnosed on the MOT to be a track rod end.
However when i fitted the track rod end and got my ticket i noticed the noise was still there, it turned out to be the bottom ball joint and was misdiagnosed on the MOT due to the bottom ball joint being 'loaded' when you jack it up.
Are you getting any 'wandering', uneven tyre wear or 'scrubbing' on the tyres ?
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

No tyre wear,no wandering,no nothing.Car behaves just like it should.Although i`ve had a thought.
See Droplinks
Wookey
(Donor 2019)
My Cars: Peugeot Expert 1.9D (Camper conversion) (2003-now)

Post by Wookey »

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a droplink?
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Wookey</i>

Pardon my ignorance, but what is a droplink?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
The thing with a balljoint on each end that connects the anti-roll bar to the suspension, and on Cits has a built-in clonk just waiting to get out [}:)]
Neil - since I read your original post all of us around here are saying 'squeek' !! [}:)]