rad fans

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

john alexander
My Cars:

rad fans

Post by john alexander »

Hi my 1.9 td est is running at 70 degs, when I put the air con on should both fans come on ,or do they only kick in when the engine temp rises.Thanks john.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I take it you are talking about a Xantia. If so, both fans should run when the aircon is turned on.
However was it a very cold day when you were checking, if so it may have been too cold for the aircon to operate.
If that was not the case then do a search on 'Bitron' (the aircon ecu) and you will get loads of info.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

If you only want to know if the fans work then pull the plug from the bitron (brown in colour) temperature sensor on the thermostat housing, they should both run at high speed when unplugged.
Dave
john alexander
My Cars:

Post by john alexander »

Dave ,tried unplugging brown connector,with a/c off one fan spins fast,with a/c on both spin. is this correct. Regards John.
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

I think it should be both, I 'll check mine again when I get chance, but I know they make the same level of racket if the sensor is unplugged as they do when the aircon is on.
Dave
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

John, it should be both with the Bitron sensor diconnected, if you do it with the ignition on but engine off. I f you then turn the ignition off with the sensor disconnected both fans should run at half speed as they are then connected in series. If neither run at slow speed than one fan is faulty, on mine it was the connector at the fan end. There is a thread on here from October time, when I was having the same problems.
You should be able to remove the fan without dismantling the whole front of the car, but despite a socket very similar to the one shown I was still unable to do it and wound up dismantling the front of the car, be very careful if you have to do that, the connections to the condensor on the LHS of the car as you look at it suffer with dissimilar metal corrosion, as a result I lost all the refrigerant and had to buy new hoses that connect the condensor to the drier bottle and compressor, despite a lot of enquiries I wound up buying them from citroen at a whopping ?345 [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(] [xx(]
Pete
________
Bmw M12 History
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:58, edited 1 time in total.