Xantia glow plugs

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

gecko

Xantia glow plugs

Post by gecko »

Hi,
My 95 Xantia TD estate was starting a bit lumpy with some white smoke so bought plugs from GSF and changed them - well 3 of them anyway - all except no.1 - how do I get to it? is there an easy procedure (he asks in hope [:)]) I gave up after 1/2 hour as it was freezing out.
If anything starting is worse now still lumpy and lots of white smoke so I assume no.1 is the faulty one.
once revved for a bit everything's fine.
Thanks in anticipation
Shaun
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Easy way???Not that i know of!When i did mine,i removed a few pipes from the fuel pump,then using a selection of spanners,some bent for better access,took about an hour to change it.With lots of swearing & cuts to my fingers.
Try using the glowplugs twice.IE,turn on ignition,what for light to go out & then repeat.If it starts better,like mine then its usally the plugs.
Also though,you could have a air leak in the fuel pipes.Before cold starting,try pumping the primer bulb,top left of engine bay(drivers side)when looking from the front.Pump it till it hardens,then if it starts better,you could have a small air leak in the system.Its cover`d on the forum somewhere.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i managed to replace all of the plugs on my Xantia without removing any thing else, the number one plug is the worst, i had a cheapo spanner which i managed to bend, still its a pig of a job.
andycarter
My Cars:

Post by andycarter »

Shaun
This is the method I used:
http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... C_ID=10044
Andy
vanny
My Cars:

Post by vanny »

Im assume that its just a simple mind slip and your talking about plug FOUR (the plugs, like the cylinders are numbered from the final drive end of a PSA deisel engine) and the problem plug is the one behind the mechanical fuel pump?
I've got to do this on mine eventually, but have done it on NA diesels without any sort of major problem, just lots of swearing and an hour to retrieve a socket that went down between the pump mount bracket and the block.
What i have noticed is that if i prime the hand pump, bleed a little on the fuel filter, then reprime, the car starts with much more ease and less white smoke. I just wonder if a fuel leak is a) making the situation worse b) the cause of the plugs to fail?
I did however do plugs 1 and 2 with cheapo replacements but the BERU plugs that came out where slightly deformed. hmmmm
Any suggestions?
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

When you go to the trouble of replacing glowplugs it's really silly to not replace the leak-off pipes on the injectors at the same time. The original rubber piping literally disintegrates as soon as you touch it and you've probably got problems with air leakage here without knowing about it. Replace with modern nitril rubber instead and it will last the life of the car.
//NiSk
gecko

Post by gecko »

Hey cheers everyone - I was hoping for some magical technique I guess but after getting ripped off by a garage last summer with clutch cable and eventually spending a few times upside down under the dash replacing clips (following the helpful suggestions on this board) and eventually the cable and a metal clip from the guys in Gloucester myself, I probably should have known it would be another 'pig' of a job. For someone who could barely manage to check the oil before I had a Citroen you guys have really brought me on, [:-)].
Thanks for the advice about the air leak will check that out - Nisk - any idea where I get the nitril rubber version from or are they all that now?
Thanks again gonna have another crack this weekend, weather permitting - will let you know how it goes.
Shaun
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Most motor factors know what it is (and some enlightened garages). Just say you want fuel piping that withstands bio-diesel and you'll get the right stuff.
//NiSk
gecko

Post by gecko »

Finally got the number one plug sorted and leak off pipes replaced. But still a lumpy start-up and alot of white smoke.
My mechanic tried applying power direct to plugs, bypassing the control box, and she started like a dream with no smoke - so is it down to the heater control box - we have a spare but mine's black and the spare is blue - are they interchangeable?
It seems my old plugs are fine too - so I now have a spare set :-)
cheers
Shaun
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

ive found that the colors of the glowplug controlers seem to be all sorts fo colours and all do the same thing... should be ok give it a try.
Andy
gecko

Post by gecko »

cheers Andy - will give it a go.
Shaun
stevieboy1
My Cars:

Post by stevieboy1 »

I always find that waiting for another 5 secs or so after the glow plug light has gone out helps[:D]
I wonder if they reduced the time in the glow plug unit so as to try to keep up with the DI engines that don't need them unless is below 0
Cheers
Steve
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think there are 2 types of glowplug relay, the BX type which goes off with the light and the later type which keeps the plugs glowing after the engine starts. I think the plugs themselves are different too. Probably best to check with Online shop to see what goes with what.
having said all that I think the change was probably in 1991 or so so if your relay comes from a car after this time its probably ok. If it doesn't work properly (or fit easily) then age may be the problem.
Jeremy
jakeuk
My Cars:

Post by jakeuk »

i did the unthinkable and used inferior replacements which were great when first done absolutely on the button and smokeless starting but it did'nt last now less than a couple of months down the road she still starts on the first turn of the key but the little chuff of smoke is starting to return.
i think the key to a painless change is in the selection of tools