Xantia headrests, HELP!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

anno888
My Cars:

Xantia headrests, HELP!

Post by anno888 »

Hi all,
I need to fold down the rear seats on my xantia and need to remove the headrests first. The book says to just pull them out but they move to their highest point and then stop. There is no way they are coming out just by pulling.
What am I missing here?????
Am moving house today so any help would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers
jack.dempsey
My Cars: BX TZD @ 250K miles (J reg),
Xantia TD @ 165K miles (R reg),
Xantia 2.1 TD (R reg)
and tow a caravan with them all (not at the same time)

Post by jack.dempsey »

MIne have some little clips built into the top of the seat. You have to press the clips in as you slide the headrests. I seem to recall that you can squeeze both clips in with one hand (clips are to the outer edges of holes) whilst lifting headrest with the other hand. Hope this helps.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

When I last had the rear headrests out of my Xantia, my brother told me they "just pull out".
Its a case of applying force until you're sure something is going to break and hoping for the best.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

It can't be really difficult - I do it regularly.
But what do I do? I think I press in the little clips jack refers to, and I think one at a time with a bit of a twist does it.
Pat Neenan
My Cars:

Post by Pat Neenan »

i HADA 95 XANTIA AND THE HEADRESTS WOULD NOT COME OUT EITHER , SO WHAT I DID WAS TO PUT THE FRONT SEATS RIGHT FORWARD AND THEN WITH A LITTLE PRESSURE THE BACKRESTS DID FOLD FLAT .
iT FELT LIKE THEY WERE BEING FORCED BUT I DID IT MANY TIMES AND NOTHING EVER HAPPENED.
hOPE IT WORKS FOR YOU
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

you definately have to release some little clips then they come out oh so easily (spent ten minutes brute forcing five year old child says 'dad maybe they are clipped in' child is of course right!!
brianr.uk

Post by brianr.uk »

I have a 1993 xantia and to get the rear headrests out I have to twist the plastic bungs they go into about half a turn.see if that works on yours.
Pat Neenan
My Cars:

Post by Pat Neenan »

oN THE OLDER MODELS THERE IS NO CLIP SO YOU CAN'T PUSH THEM IN .I ALSO TOOK MINE TO A CIT DEALER. TALK ABOUT U/S.!!!
THEY HADN'T A CLUE. WISH I'D KNOWN ABOUT TWISTING THE PLASTIC THINGY THOUGH
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Same on mine, the plastic 'holding' tube that the headrest rods go into need to be twisted half a turn and then they slip out.
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

I take it Citroen must have improved the rear head rest release, on the later Xantia's as my late model 1998/9, will release easily by pressing the clip on the back rest, like other cars I've owned.
It was more fun trying to lift up the rear seat base, as it isn't hinged at the front in the normal manner, it works with an over centre mechanism, and has to be pulled up at the front initialy, instead of at the rear in the conventional manner. Mind you when tilted it helps to enable the base to be further forward than a normal hinge, and provide more space. Another clever idea from Citroen !
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

Did any of you guys ever get an owners manual?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Yes I did, but mislaid it before loading the car up with a lot of things, when setting out to go abroad, with other things on my mind, being in a hurry I worked it out, as there was not enough time to go, and search for it.
Note, it had been taken in the house to read through it, although I had not researched this particular subject, Sods Law. I have since that journey found it, and now keep it closer to hand.
ActivaV6uk
My Cars: C5 X7 2.7 hdi

Past cars
Activa, silver MK1 (221bhp stock) stripped out with twin sparcos Evo seats. 95
Activa, light met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met red MK1 98
Activa, dark met blue MK1 (202bhp stock) 96
Xantia exclusive V6 auto 3l 98
Xantia 2l 8v auto
BX 4x4 GTi dark met silver
BX 4x4 GTi white
BX GTi 16v white fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v black fibre bumpers
BX GTi 16v hurricane (doa)
BX DTR estate

Post by ActivaV6uk »

yeah the "half twist" is in the users manual for any one who has a 93 or 94 xantia.
Andy
sandancer

Post by sandancer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by weety</i>

five year old child says 'dad maybe they are clipped in' child is of course right!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Get the little blighters to do it - they're soooooo good at pulling things apart quickly!
Nomad
My Cars:

Post by Nomad »

Mine were the same, i thought that they would not come out either, There are no clips or anything on mine just the black plastic collor.
In the end i got the hump with them and pulled really hard and they came out, now it is not a problem to get them out.
But don't stop when they reach the end if you do they don't come out. When they are at the lowest posistion just pull like mad.
Good Luck
Tony