Xantia seat belts rewind (Update)

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

The seat belts (rear & passenger side) does not really rewind very well any more, and I am going to try and fix them this weekend. Wandered if anyone else had this problem and if it's a straight forward lubrication job ? (I'll remember to look out for any pretensioners [}:)])
Tried to fix the rear belts today. Access was a little restricted as I needed to remove three trim pannels to get the things out. They did run nice and easy, but I gave them a good spray of WO40 anyway and put it all together. They now seem a little bit better, I'll face very honest judgement by the kids tomorrow [}:)], but to be honest I think the springs have seen better days. I guess the only robust solution could well be to change the belts.
ghostrider
My Cars:

Post by ghostrider »

I have exactly the same problem, as I did on the BX, fixed that with some WD40, I also made the mistake of dismantling the spring mechanism on a GS, nearly lost a finger and had about a zillion kilometers of spring steel all over the place[:D] [:D] [:D] [:D] , so I've been a bit wary since, let us know how you get on, not sure how good the access is
Pete
________
Vitamins & supplements forums
Last edited by ghostrider on 22 Feb 2011, 05:57, edited 1 time in total.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

Thanks for the warning about taking the spring mechanism appart, I'm sure I would have been tempted to do that..
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You can get universal seat belts. Had a couple for a MG BGT a few years back. You could if the WD 40 don't work try one of these.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

All 3 rear belts are the same on mine.They all work properly,back take ages to wind back.Never failed an MOT though,as they "lock" when pulled hard.
If i had rear seat passengers alot,i would sort them out.But i dont,so i wont.
RichG
My Cars:

Post by RichG »

Same on my estate. Must be a Citroen 'feature' [:D]
I had a look at the rear mechanism when the car was new (the main stealer said that they were OK) but could see no parts to lubricate so I left them as they were. Just have to be careful that new back seat passengers do not trap the buckle in the rear door when they shut it (the kids are already trained).
Richard
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by RichG</i>
Just have to be careful that new back seat passengers do not trap the buckle in the rear door when they shut it (the kids are already trained).<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Tell me about it!!![:D][:(!]
Though mainly adults in my case.
harryb.48
My Cars:

Post by harryb.48 »

I have the same problem on my Xantia estate - somehow I had the feeling it was a Citroen-specific problem !
These cars certainly make life (in the slow lane) very interesting.
Seriously though,I would like to correct it and I too wondered how to get at the mechanism to give it a quick squirt of lubricant ?
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

No it's not Citroen specific, I have had the same thing happen to me on other cars I've owned, or had to attend to for friends, etc.
I've had to look into the cause of the problem, but have not had to replace any belts yet.
On one type of American car the inertia reel mechanism was built into the lower area of the car as normal at the base of the " B-post, " with a second inertia reel built into the roof. I had fun fixing it, but managed to sort it out.
The " A-post " is the windscreen pillar, and it follows in sequence to the back of the car.
Another American design, I've seen had the inertia mechanism built into the rear of the front door, with the belt permanently fastened, when you opened the door it would lift off you, and when you shut the door it was placed on you by the design, therefore no excuse for not belting up !
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If you decide to replace the inertia reels, make sure that the new ones are designed to be mounted at the correct angle. Many designs will lock if they are mounted at the wrong angle, and even fault-free reels will often lock if the car is on a slope.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

The C5's front seatbelts are (were!) hard to rewind since the first time.
One cure i saw at the C5 group at yahoo and tryed yesterday, is to spray or apply silicone, like the one used on the instrument panel on the full seatbelt.
At least it's quicker to rewind now, though not perfect.
Just a thought...[;)]