advise needed

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

modi
My Cars:

advise needed

Post by modi »

i got my xantia 3 months ago and had no idea what so ever about citroen cars, apart from the privilage of driving a friend's bx in Geneva for 5 days last year which was magical, i got it with long mot and short tax, 70k on the clock, for £550, bargain i thought, but since then i spent around £300 between abs repairs, clutch cable, new tyres, tracking, changing oil and filters, and after getting addicted to this website, i found out that i have to change the cambelt -as i have no idea when was changes if it was- front brake&pads disks and rear spheres.. i am just asking does it worth doing all that?? i have no idea what this car worth ..
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i do the same mate buy a car cheap replace everything thats worn out then run it for a couple of years without much hassle... and i do about 25000 miles a year
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

It all sounds like wear & tear things.Replacing things that have worn out through age/mileage.ALL cars need these things doing.Although its unfortunate that you`ve just got the car.
It all depends on how you feel.If your going to keep the car for a few years,then its worth doing.You know you`ve got a good car then.If you`re only going to keep it for say 6 mths,get rid of it & buy a better one.But you still may have to do work on that.
I felt like you when i got mine,&it cost £4000!!!New battery within the first few weeks,new rad 6 mths later,loads of little faults.[:(!]I felt like getting rid of it.But i done most of the work myself,& now when something goes wrong,its just things wearing out through old age.But i know i`ve got a good car now.[:)]
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

thanks for the advise, i love driving this car and i thing i will keep it because of that and i cann't afford a new one now :( , how can i find out that the cabmbelt -the timingbelt i presume- needs changing?? is there any test/indicator that tells? thanks
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The only way is by looking.And then you`d really need to take it off to inspect the inside of the belt on the teeth.Belt change is every 72k miles,though best to do it about 36,or 50k miles.Unless you know if it has been changed before,change it now!!!Otherwise if it breaks,ouch £££`s.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

what a good news, i managed to contact the previous owner and he confirmed that he changed the cambelt last year on 63000 :) -its 80000 now- beside the rear brake system and the clutch... its becoming interesting now ..