Xantia Headlights

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ninebob

Xantia Headlights

Post by ninebob »

First time I did any distance out-of-town in darkness the other night, and I noticed that in dipped mode my headlights are pants. I've searched around on here and it seems to be a common problem, however the info I've found suggests that the lights were changed in 1995 to solve the issue. As mine is a 1996 I'm now concerned that my lights may have been changed for earlier ones. Do you think this might be the case; how can I tell which type I have?
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

don't know how you tell if you have the later ones or not but mine is a 1996 as wall and the lights are very poor.
xantiaBFY
My Cars:

Post by xantiaBFY »

one of our Xantians here in Kuala Lumpur converted his to HID and the result was tremendous. The only thing preventing me from changing is the initial cost.
http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/HID/hid.htm
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

The headlights on the post '98 facelift model are better but still not up to BX (or GS) standards.
You could try fitting new bulbs, that usually improves things a bit. I still found I had to use foglamps a lot.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Start by fitting Philips VisionPlus or Osram Silverstar bulbs - they will give you the best lighting short of HID conversion.
//NiSk
ninebob

Post by ninebob »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by NiSk</i>

Start by fitting Philips VisionPlus or Osram Silverstar bulbs - they will give you the best lighting short of HID conversion.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Three questions then!
1. How much will they cost me?
2. Where do I get them?
3. How do I fit them?
I have no mechanical knowledge whatsoever, you see!
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

So far as I know, all the Xantias have headlights that are inadequate for the speed at which they will travel. On all of my Citroens so far, I have had dramatic improvements in headlight by retofitting relays and heavy-duty wiring to the globes. Further improvements are available by uprating the globes, but if the globes are intrinsically starved of electrical power by penny-pinching wiring (as is the case in your Xantia), then the gains available by uprating globes will be rather limited.
So, in addtition to my heavy-duty wiring, I run 100watt globes on high beam (the inner lenses), and have gone for the Philips Blue Vision for the better clarity that whiter light gives in low beam.
Relays are about A$6 each, Wiring about A$12, Connectors about A$12, Blue vision globes are around A$50 for a pair, 100 Watt globes around A$6-12 (depending where you buy them). Divide by 3 to get UK pounds.
Easiest to access the globes and wiring by removing the headlights, which will require a cheap 1/4inch socket set and a set of security head screwdrivers (the front grill has to come off). If you ask, I will email a circuit diagram for the conversion.
PeterMann
My Cars:

Post by PeterMann »

Oops. My email address is nicolewis@optus.com
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

M
Admittedly, Peters conversion will give you the best performance for any lamps you fit, but the Philips/Osram lamps named supply more light from the same power consumption, so you will see a dramatic improvement even without uprating the wiring. You can buy them from most motor factors, or online (http://autolamps-online.com/index.htm) amongst others.
//NiSk
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Have you considered that the alignment of the headlights may be incorrect? Before spending money try adjusting them by way of using a long allen key into the holes above the headlights in the black plastic shut panel. I believe the inner holes adjust height, the outer holes laterally.
Kowalski
My Cars: Ex 05 C5 2.0 HDI Exclusive 145k
Ex 97 Xantia 1.9TD SX 144k
Ex 94 Xantia Dimension 1.9TD 199k

Post by Kowalski »

Corroded silver on your reflectors or dirty lenses have a big impact on your headlight performance, it's more options to explore.
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

http://www.andyspares.com/discussionfor ... ight,bulbs
Check out this link.I recently got a set of Osram silver stars.Excellent bulbs.See link.
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

not sure if this will be of some interest but my father has devised a way of putting modern bullseye lights from a VX vectra into his XM to replace the dipped beam. I have photos of it because we are going to put it in the citroen car club magazine the results are like day and night.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Hi Meexi!
Could you post that very interesting info on the andyspares hints and tips forum for us foreigners who don't get a chance to read the Citroneon??
//NiSk
meexi
My Cars:

Post by meexi »

Hi,
Once we have got it all correctly typed i can e-mail it to any one.I will keep everyone posted