Xantia Glowplug and Control

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Rajshah
My Cars:

Xantia Glowplug and Control

Post by Rajshah »

I have a Xantia TDSX (93). My glowplugs are not getting power and I suspect either the control unit or associated post heating relay or post heater thermal switch (going by circuit diagram) and need to isolate the fault.
I can't hear the click I used to hear when the glow plug time was over and it was ready to crank. Seems like an earthing problem somewhere with the relays or the control unit.
Anyone know if the glowplug control unit is the Plastic box behind the battery about 2 in X 4 in and top side has an apex shape? Are the post heating relays the two small units next to it and what do they do? Is there a way to maually heat the plugs by flipping the relay? Else I am thinking of powering up the glow plugs directly for 5 seconds to see if I can start car that way. Any problem with that method as far as I avoid shorts!
beezer

Post by beezer »

Right enough the control unit should be next to the battery. You may well have a post heating system and the relay for this should be with the engine bay fuses to the far left. As for flicking the relay - I got by with a direct connection via heavy cable with a Ford Fiesta but it didn't have an ECU. Your car may well have one so I would not stick my neck out and say yay or nay.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

TD Xantias only started geeting ECU's from about 96 onwards.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

If you connect a heavy cable directly from the battery, make sure you have something to hold the end with - it can get VERY hot VERY quickly and if you drop it, it could land in the wrong place.
!
//NiSk
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

I use a jumplead and nerves of steel;)
Stewart
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

i had the same problem once and it was the actual connection to the battery, the battery connection had cracked and fallen apart and i hadnt noticed......easy to diagnose as it broke neatly into two pieces