Tsunami

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

paranoid
My Cars:

Tsunami

Post by paranoid »

I hope this isn't out of place sorry if it is.
A few members of this forum are from the country's affected by the terrible events in Aisa, Thailand etc hope you and your families are safe, please give to the aid fund.
www.dec.org.uk
JohnCKL
My Cars:

Post by JohnCKL »

paranoid, thanks for highlighting this issue. Malaysia have not bore the brunt of the tsunami, although 66 were confirmed dead, mostly on the north west island of Penang, Langkawi and state of Kedah. All of them are locals and miraculously no foreign tourists were killed as opposed to Thailand where probably half the dead were tourists and thousands still missing. Only one British man was injured here. We thank our lucky stars Sumatra island has shielded our west coast and the Straits of Melaka from any serious damage to the more southern part or else the tens of thousands dead would be from Malaysia. However, woe to those around the epicentre of the quake, 80,000 dead in Acheh. Those staying in high rise buildings in Kuala Lumpur have felt the tremor when the 9.0 quake hit off Sumatra. All of those residents rushed out when their buildings start swaying to and fro like in a boat. My sister's family had a narrow escape when they went to Penang on holiday and was there just after the waves struck. She saw 2 bodies on the beach. It is a tragedy of massive scale. Condolences to those who suffer, both locals and tourists. There are still some British and many European tourists still missing off Phuket and surrounding areas. Yes, please contribute to the aid fund and pray for those lost. Thank you again for your concern from the other side of the globe.
philhoward

Post by philhoward »

Very scary one for me as I was in Sri Lanka just before Christmas, and wanted to stay on another week with friends we met out there (no flight availability, so had to come back on the 21st). One local we met out there died, and a friend we made was due to be out on a boat trip that morning...luckily he overslept and was in his 2nd floor bedroom when it struck.
My contribution via the DEC site is (hopefully) already on its way to help those left after this tragedy. I hope more follow suit.