Front hydractive sphere removal.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bernie
My Cars:

Front hydractive sphere removal.

Post by bernie »

Has anyone removed this sphere on the Xantia?
As it is mounted on the valve which in turn is held on flimsy bodywork, it makes it difficult to apply any leverage on the chain wrench.[:(]
It would appear I will have to remove the whole valve assembly and remove the sphere in the vice.[:(!]
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

I've done it six times now 'in-situ', but then I do have the 'Peleides' sphere removal tool.
The mounting will move but it then reaches a certain point where it seems to wedge against something, give it a good shove! Try applying leverage then tapping either the side of the sphere or the handle of the tool to 'shock it'.
Good luck Bernie, I wouldn't fancy removing the whole assembly.
alan s
RIP 2010
My Cars:

Post by alan s »

You are depressurising the entire system correctly aren't you?
From memory, I think you need to drop the height lever inside the car, slacken the 12mm bleed screw and leave the car with the engine running and a door or boot open for at least 30 seconds to fully depressurise it. (I know it's not April Fools day!!!) [:D][}:)][:o)]
At a pinch, a good hard whack with a hammer on a long steel ended scrrewdriver is sometimes needed to start it off and if it's totally blown it's a hard all the way thing to screw off.
Ours is a 2.0i which has heaps of working room around it but I don't know how much access you may have on your model.
Alan S
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Richard Gallagher</i>

The mounting will move but it then reaches a certain point where it seems to wedge against something, give it a good shove!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thanks Richard
Unfortunatly the thing it rests against is the radiator.
I've placed a wood plank in between but then the plastic spigots on rad bottom start objecting!!![}:)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by alans</i>

You are depressurising the entire system correctly aren't you?
From memory, I think you need to drop the height lever inside the car, slacken the 12mm bleed screw and leave the car with the engine running and a door or boot open for at least 30 seconds to fully depressurise it. (I know it's not April Fools day!!!) [:D][}:)][:o)]
At a pinch, a good hard whack with a hammer on a long steel ended scrrewdriver is sometimes needed to start it off and if it's totally blown it's a hard all the way thing to screw off.
Ours is a 2.0i which has heaps of working room around it but I don't know how much access you may have on your model.
Alan S
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Ah yes Alan I have depressurised.[:p][:p]
Trouble with a whack is that it's not mounted on anything solid[:(][:(]
I think I'm back to removing the whole valve[}:)][}:)]
Thanks for your thoughts though[:)]