Brake disks

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

modi
My Cars:

Brake disks

Post by modi »

Can anyone please advise if this front disk need replacement or still can live for a bit more:
[img]C:\Documents%20and%20Settings\modi\My%20Documents\PB290014.bmp[/img]
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

"Red X in a white square" syndrome.........
beezer

Post by beezer »

Once it has a red 'x' on it it is knackered.
AndersDK
My Cars:

Post by AndersDK »

Modi -
Dave is not exactly referring to Red Cross "condition" of your brake disc [;)]
But you can not submit pictures from your own harddisc. The picture must be public available from a public server, and then you submit the full URL for the picture to show here.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

thanks very much AnderDK, please check the following:
http://www.geocities.com/modibaba/techie.html
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

To my ageing eyes it looks like the disc is about 3mm thick, or is that the 'worn' lip?
Can anyone confirm?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

That site link is down at the mo. But as a rule of thumb if the wear lip is more than 4mm on the outer edge then it's time to replace. This is going on the disc being approx 20 to 22mm thick and min thickness being 15 to 17mm. Not much to buy new discs from GSF and the new Brembo range had now got wear indicators on the disc. Two drilled dots, this means all ok but if you can see one it's time to think about changing if you can see none then it's time to change.
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

discs are so cheap now that every time i need to replace the pads i always replace the discs at the same time.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

thanks all for the comments, the points is i bought the haynes book to check if i can change disks and pads myself, but due to my lack of experience i am a bit hesitated to change the disks, just afraid of anything goes wrong -liquid leak..etc-, pads are easy to change, the link is up now: http://www.geocities.com/modibaba/techie2.html, thanks.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

sorry the link is down again, will get back to you for it
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

According to Haynes, the minimum disc thickness is 18.5 mm. Just measure it with a micrometer at several places. If its < 18.5mm = new discs, otherwise not - assuming that the surface is not all groovy. A lip at the outer edge can be removed with a standard file.
//NiSk
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

thanks Nick, the link is up now -fingures crossed- http://www.geocities.com/modibaba/techie.html
IanR
My Cars:

Post by IanR »

Not seen the image, but new pads will last a much shorter time with uneven or scored discs, so if they are at all uneven, then that's a good reason to change them anyway.
Generally you don't need to disconnect the hydraulics; in many cases you can simply 'angle' the disc out of the caliper once the pads are out and the pistons wound/pushed back. If you can't do that, then have a rope ready to suspend the caliper from while you work on the disc. That saves disconnecting the pipework.
Ian Fearn
My Cars:

Post by Ian Fearn »

Out of interest, do you have to do anything different when pushing back the pistons on the calipers if the car has ABS?