BX Aircon Refurbish

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

PeterMann
My Cars:

BX Aircon Refurbish

Post by PeterMann »

BX Aircon Refurbish
The compressor in our 1989 TRi19 has disintegrated in spectacular fashion, destroying the electric clutch after pollinating the entire sealed system (including beyond the filter/drier) with powdered aluminium. Looks like it started as a seal failure, which progressed to punching the pushrod through the top of the seal-less piston.
My first preference would be to perform several flushings of the system with a solvent that will leave no traces remaining after blowing through with air and will evaporate without leaving a residue, but to do so will require replacing the expansion valve with an adaptor. Which brings me to the immediate problem :
Where is the aircon expansion valve ?,
and what options are available for accessing the shy so-and-so ?
I'm gonna love doing this.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Peter,
good to hear the BX is back on the road. Things have been really hectic my end and I never did get to your wife about the BX.
I think you'll find this one is outside our a DIY'ers capability unless you own the equipment to evacuate the system and re-fill it. It will not be cheap :(
Your best bet is to email Alan Smith alans ' at' aussiefrogs.com and see what he says. He's a qualified air-con guy and has several BX's. replace ' at ' with @
seeya,
Shane L.