Insurance Q

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Guru Meditation

Insurance Q

Post by Guru Meditation »

Anyone know an insurer that'll do the old 'driving other cars' extension for a driver over 21 but under 25 for a reasonable price (or at all), on a non comprehensive policy?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

What do mean mate? are you after 3rd party insurance when, or if you get to drive a mates car? Or something else?
Homer
My Cars: Current:
Volvo V60 D4 180

Previous:
BX16RS (two of),
BX19TZI,
Xantia 2.0i saloon,
Xantia 2.0 Exclusive CT turbo Break,
Peugeot 807 2.0 HDi 110,
Renault Grand Scenic, 2.0 diesel (150bhp)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi 160 which put me off French cars possibly forever

Post by Homer »

It's something that is being quietly dropped by most insurance companies.
Too many 17yr olds wrecking their dad's Porche apparently (Like you see them on every corner[:o)]).
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

Not quite the same but with my policy with Admiral I can insure a 2nd vehicle for up to 60 days for the policy year. I have to ring up and give the info first but this is ok. Ie when I went to look at my Supra I rung up and had it insured for a week and it only cost £10 which gave me time to buy it, get it home, faff around then permantly make it the main car on the policy.
Its scary that so many people go to test drive cars and are probably not insured. The owner would be stuffed if the tester crashed it etc.
My friend however with Cooperative Insurance can drive other peoples cars 3rd party with their consent but again I think it probably goes on the owners insurance even though they are not driving it.
Then you have other issues like a lot of places dont insure you for driving to your place of work, only social driving so I had to upgrade mine. This does not include driving during work hours for work related things, ie go deliver this box to company in next down as our accountant found out one day much to her bank accounts displeasure
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

On my insurance I'm covered fully comp on my vehicle and the wifes as a named driver. But I have buisness use and can drive other vehicles 3rd party. Have been driving nearly 20 years and so far only 2 serious accidents. Hit by an artic and an Austin princess.
Stinkwheel

Post by Stinkwheel »

My insurance with tesco is very good, covers tpo on others cars and also to and from work and business use for no extra charge. Im over 25 though.
And stuart isnt being hit by an austin princess the same as being hit by an arctic??
Guru Meditation

Post by Guru Meditation »

Thanks for the replies. The problem I was having is that when you're over 25 and take out a fully comprehensive policy you almost always automatically get an extension that allows you to drive, with the oweners consent, any other vehicle with the minimum 3rd party liability cover-useful if you need to borrow a car off someone quickly or you need to move a car or something like that.
Unfortunately on most TPO or TPFT policies you don't get this extension full stop and being under 25 you don't usually get it even with a comprehensive policy.
I'd just about given up when a letter from Budget dropped through the post today, it is a TPFT quote from Budget from a company call Inter Hannover and lo and behold it expressly includes the 'driving other cars' extension. I rang Budget and confirmed the details and it appears to be correct, so it looks like this is the renewal I will take, unless my current insurers can pull something out of the bag.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

Interesting... My TPF&T policy fron Norwich Union definitely covers driving other cars, provided that I don't actually own them. AFAIR all the policies I've ever had have included this cover, with the exception of my very first TPO policy in 1984.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by VisaGTi16v</i>

This does not include driving during work hours for work related things, ie go deliver this box to company in next down as our accountant found out one day much to her bank accounts displeasure<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
But only if you tell them, have a bump and say "I was on the way to Asda" they are unlikely to start requesting work schedules etc - they rely on people being honest and saying "I was delivering a box for work" - Instant get out clause (insurance Co breathes a sigh of relief knowing your stuffed).
Me... I have to have Buisness insurance because of the occasional ferrying about of patients as well as umpteen miles a day I do between clinics. Adds ££££££ to the insurance (Adrian Flux today sais it was adding another £200 PA to my policy for buisness use on the Xantia).
<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">Interesting... My TPF&T policy fron Norwich Union definitely covers driving other cars, provided that I don't actually own them. AFAIR all the policies I've ever had have included this cover, with the exception of my very first TPO policy in 1984.<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Thats how we got my last eBay special home - filled the forms in with the wifes name (new owner) I drove it back - checked with Direct <s>Liars </s>Line and they said, "yep, fine its covered TPO".