Knocking 306 xtdt

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

wal750
My Cars:

Knocking 306 xtdt

Post by wal750 »

I have a Peugeot 306 xtdt, 1994 with 100k on the clock.
The car has a bad knocking noise coming from the front, apparent when going over bumps in the road. It also knocks when coming to a standstill from slow speeds, most noticeable when edging forward in traffic.
I've replaced the track rod ends and there is no play in any of the wishbone bushes.
It's been suggested that it could be the steering rack or the inboard joints for the track rods. Are these replaceable or part of the rack?
Seems quite a common problem on 306's, I've been in 2 others that make very similar noises so I'm sure somebody has come across it before.
Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Have you checked the bottom ball joints for play and the anti rollbar drop links?
wal750
My Cars:

Post by wal750 »

Ball joints are good both sides. L/H side had a drop link replaced as I bought it with some damage. Replaced drop link + wishbone. I suppose strictly speaking I should have changed both drop links together.
Do you think this could cause the noise? It's quite a pronounced knock.
Just for information I have the plastic drop links fitted to my motor.
solara

Post by solara »

Have you checked the front suspension strut bearings (ie sitting between the suspension struts and the chassis.
Jack up the front, and swivel steering for any grinding noises or play.
solara

Post by solara »

Personally, it sounds very much like a drop link problem. Replace the other one, and put your mind to rest. Plastic ones are fine. I replaced mines with genuine pug ones about 6 years ago, with no probs, and there are a lot of road humps where I live.
wal750
My Cars:

Post by wal750 »

I've changed the strut bearings already, bit of a sod to do. Think I'll change the other drop link and let you know how I get on.
wal750
My Cars:

Post by wal750 »

Update on knocking
Finally replaced the other droplink today. Took me a while to get round to it though!!
The knocking has completely gone from the front now so thanks for the suggestions.
I do however still have a knocking from the rear. Under brakeing there is a knock from the near side. Could this be the shock absorbers?
Any advice appreciated
martyb2
My Cars:

Post by martyb2 »

could be one of two things, either the bottom shock absorber bushes or the rear axle mounts, but i would think its more likely to be the shock bushes