1998 Xantia 2.1 TD SX model

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Optimum

1998 Xantia 2.1 TD SX model

Post by Optimum »

My fuel pump went on the Xantia and as this the model with the fly by wire control, so no accelerator cable, I had a bit of a job finding one.
I have found one now though, had to buy another car to run around with till now, but anyway as far as I can see the pump is just there to keep the fuel flowing and the main ECU controls the injection.
So removal of the old pump looks like setting the engine to TDC, take off the cambelt, making sure now t disturd the engine position and replacing the old one with the new one. The cambelt might as well be replaced and on connection of the fly by wire connection to the ECU it should start up. The ECU I think should sense the engine position and start the injection system to match the engine position, hopefully running smoothly.
OK now tell me where I have went wrong as the above seems to be the logical manner to do things and how I would want the system to work but probably Citroen have a different idea.
I await your emails!!!
John
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Your idea of the EPIC injection pump is just a tad simplistic, sure the ECU decides when injection occurs as far as timing advance goes, and how much fuel is injected with regard to manifold pressure, but the physical adjustments are still made within the pump because this isn't a common rail system.
So initial timing will need to be set when fitted like any other mechanical injection pump with or without EDC.
Dave