C5 lightbulb replacement

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

physics Si

C5 lightbulb replacement

Post by physics Si »

I got a new dip headlamp bulb to replace a blown FNS bulb on my C5. What a kafuffle!!, no chance of getting my hand in the space when I tried, and Citroen say it costs about £65 to replace the bulb because of the labour in stripping down to get to it!
I have got some tools and I am blowed if I am going to pay that, can anyone give any advice please as to the best way to get to the bulb,
Citroen mentioned they take the bumper off, I don’t know if that is the only way, but I am conscious if I do take the bumper off I may interfere with the airbag sensors.
Any advice would be appreciated, I wish Haynes did a book for the C5, I am sure there would be a market for it even if just for the bulb replacement. [:)]
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

the plug can stick on the back of the bulb & if you try to force it off it can damage the bulb holder.the best way to do it is to remove the headlamp for which the bumper has to be parially removed at the side of the lamp you want to remove.when you fit the new bulb put a light smear of grease on the plug & it will come off no problem next time without the need to remove the headlamp. dont worry about the airbags,the sensors for the airbags are located inside the car under the centre console & on the inner sills.
Mads
My Cars:

Post by Mads »

And I thourght changing bulb on my C3 was bad becaurse it is small ! 30sec. job, no worries.. I thourght; Used about an hour at a freezing service station last night (couldn't see a thing). It seemed they tried to get the battery as close to the lamp as possible :-(. With cold and bleeding hands I finally got the old one out and the new one connected, but had to wait until this morning to get the covers back on. Just changed all the dash/heater bulbs on my Xantia, what a nice job in comparison !!
physics Si

Post by physics Si »

Hi,Thank you both for your replies, can I just check please, to partially remove the bumper am I best to access the bumper bolts/fittings from underneath or from under the bonnet, and where are the bolts/fittings please !! Thanks a lot, Si.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

put the car in high,there are three fixing studs underneath,remove the middle one & the one on the side your removing its just a quarter turn with a flat screwdriver to remove. also underneath at the corner your removing there is a T-30 screw.in the wheelarch where the bumper meets the wing there is another screw(turn the steering for better access).remove the 4 T-30 screws on the landing panel then pull the bumber off at the corner you will have to give it a bit of a tug to get it to budge.the headlamp is then held in by 3 10mm bolts.
DennysL
My Cars:

Post by DennysL »

I've had this problem on both sides but found that by removing the plastic cover (over the coolant reservoir and power steering res.) and with the aid of a mirror (off an old motor bike in my case) I've managed it. When it comes to the nearside - again remove the battery box cover - and remove the battery!Here again the mirror came in handy. The dodgy bit is getting the clips back on but this is where the mirror comes in!!