Which Picasso?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

hughbourn
My Cars:

Which Picasso?

Post by hughbourn »

It has been decreed from on high that my totally reliable diesel ZX estate must go - a Picasso seems a reasonable replacement, but which model? We do 10k miles, a lot of short journeys (3 miles) and sometimes tow a small caravan. I can buy a 3 year-ish 1.8 petrol for about £1000 less than an HDi - payback about three years for the diesel. Which is likely to be more reliable up to 100k miles? There are a few 'issues' with the hdi ( clutch, crank pulley etc), while the petrol seems to have a good reputation. I realise that the hdi is a better tow car, but only tow infrequently.
In short I am dithering, and would welcome constructive comments!
Many thanks, and seasons greetings
Hugh
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

Liked that nice one with the dove of peace myself...
Sorry!
If you are not going to do megamileage, you'll spend many years burning that grand you saved. Petrols depreciate a lot though so only do this if you plan to keep the car for a long time.
(As you will have been told, Citroens do not last. One of mine is only twelve years old and already a third of the way through its working life at 135,000 miles. My other one is twenty and 153,000 miles old. They'll both need replacing around 2030AD. My last petrol one was retired at 147,000, probably clocked and running fine.)
I think that you should try and screw for a better deal though. Good as the petrol is, the punters all want the Diesel so the dealer will have the petrol sitting around for longer. Try chiselling the price to £1500 below that of a diesel using threats of violence or blackmail if necessary and enjoy your bargain. The HDI does have its weaknesses but is regarded as a goodie (Though for my money the skin/rice pudding ratio is inadequate)and it sells very well.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Must agree, the diesel will only come into its own if your doing the milage. The petrol will last jsut as long if proper maintanenec is done. As for the price, as Tom Shepphard says punters seem to want deisel anything these days so the petrol models will be sitting around a bit longer. Mate at work had a 1.8 petrol model and apart from it being written off last week on the M6 he'd had no trouble at all. He actually went to buy a new one but the Citroen dealer did him a deal on a new /used model. 3 months old had been sitting in the showroom and had 200 miles on the clock from small run abouts. My mate got a further £1800 off the price just by humming & arring. You can't complain at that. As for towing the petrol will be as good as the simalar diesel I mean how may Metro's have you seen with tow bars? The petrol engine is a good, tried and tested unit. Save your self anymore bother go for the petrol.
Richard Gallagher
My Cars:

Post by Richard Gallagher »

Make sure that you do go for an SX rather than LX as the SX has air con but only costs a few quid more.
Bear in mind that the difference between petrol and diesel in 'real life' terms is a good 10 MPG, particularly when doing short runs. The downside to the HDI is that at this time of year it takes the best part of 5 miles for the heater to warm up due to its fuel efficiency.
Our Picasso has been totally reliable, most of its work involves the school run of 3 miles return and 4 miles each way to work for the wife. Doing this she still gets 40+ MPG, despite rarely getting into 5th gear. A friend with a 1.8 struggles to get beyond 26 MPG.
arry_b

Post by arry_b »

As you intend seeing the car off at 100k, the petrol will be worth buttons while the HDi will be worth a lot more.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Both petrol and diesel will do the mileage - its a falacy that petrols self destruct at 100K unless they are Fords....(((runs and hides)))The diesel will just do it using a bit less fuel.
Ive seen petrol cars with 200K and diesels the same - look after them and they will survive.
How big (weight) of a Carvan will you be towing as otherwise what you say points to saving the difference and spending it on a petrol (says he who does not want a petrol motor ever again) - Check with Citroen what they will tow and bobs your mothers brother as they say.