what does this warning light mean ?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

dapperedodo
My Cars:

what does this warning light mean ?

Post by dapperedodo »

I have a citroen BX 16 1992, yesterday the lights almost went out, the rpm didn't do anything, and 200 meters further on the road ( excatctly in front of my gf's door ) an orange light with a motor in it and a -K in the middle came on. The motor stopped and now the car is dead. lights still come on, but that's it !!
Q:what does the orange warning symbol with an engine in it and an -K in the middle mean, searched all over internet couldn't find anything about it.
help appreciated :P
DappereDodo
PowerLee
My Cars: Current - Slightly modified 2016 Pug 308 Puretech 130 Allure
Past:
2003 - 206 GLX TU3JP & 206 SE ET3JP4
1995 - 405 Executive XU10J2
1996 - 406 GLX XU10J4R
1994 - 405 GTX XU10J2

Post by PowerLee »

Hi
Thats the diagnostic warning lamp.
You have recorded a fault in the engine ECU memory.
First thing to do before going any further is to check all the fuses inside the car & under the bonnet
You said the motors dead? Is it turning over? If its a 16valve Pop the oil filler cap off & have a look inside the hole, Shine a torch in if needed & Get an assitant to turn it over, Does the cam or cams go round? If NO then cry
You just said BX 16, Is it a 1.6 8 valve or a 1905cc/1998cc 16 valve?
If the cams are going round then the fact you say the rpm didnt do anything & now it wont start points towards the crank sensor being faulty.
Most Pugs & Cits of this age can be made to extract flash codes on the instrument panel with a bit of wire.
Look behind in the area of the drivers side headlamp ( For a right hand drive, Not sure what side your steering wheels are on in the Netherlands lol) for a Green 2 pin socket not connected to anything.
It might be hidden in a black plastic fuse box or cliped out the way somewhere.
Find the plug & come back to us.
prm
My Cars:

Post by prm »

Check all the fuses, plugs and sockets as PowerLee suggested. Also disconnect the negative battery lead for 5 minuets to reset the ECU.Then reconnect to see if this makes any difference. Could be a faulty ignition module ?? Could you also advise what type/model of EFI is fitted to your BX.
R
Peter
tomsheppard
My Cars:

Post by tomsheppard »

FYI guys the K symbol is actually the schematic representation of a transistor, ergo the light means: "Electronic gremlin."
dapperedodo
My Cars:

Post by dapperedodo »

I had the Auto service looked at it
Heh, I'm paying for it every year so.... :P
It turns out that the dynamo (electricity charcher)is not working properly because of the carbonbrushes ( dunno exactly what the Enlish word is ) are worn out.
He took a big hammer gave it a few gentle tabs, attached the battery to his. And voila it worked and my battery was charching again. He told me that is was a temporarely measure and that I had to replace it soon.
I thank you for all replies, it surely made me decide to learn more about my car. Only have it for 4 months, but really like the feel of driving my BX 16 Tzi 1992 model.
BTW the autorepairman said that the engine sounded perfectly :)
Dappere Dodo