Xantia - where's the turbo gone?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

lostinlincs

Xantia - where's the turbo gone?

Post by lostinlincs »

95N TD 107K
The more I drive my car, the more i suspect the turno isn't producing the goods.
You can hear the hiss as its cuts in but there is no discernible increase in acceleration increase at that point. That said, it doesn't feel stagnant just normally aspirated. Changed air and fuel filter - no difference. likewise after an italian tune-up. Anthing alse worth checking simply?
It isn't helped as er indoors has a xsara td which truly goes like the wind in comparison[:0]
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

Hello. Possibilities in order of probability.
1) Dislodged or split air pipe.
2) Wastegate seized open.
3) Turbo knackered. (Most unlikely).
Carefully examine the hosing and trunking, and if this seems ok, have a play with the mechanical linkage thing that you can see on the turbo housing. I would suspect some judicious levering and application of diesel would free it, but i've not had to do it myself. Access will be tight....
weety
My Cars:

Post by weety »

the air intake pipe can split just after the air filter housing in the ribbed part (hard to see just from looking) its a very common xantia fault and will reduce your power
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I think jonathan is referring to the small pipe connecting the intercooler to the injection pump. The purpose of the pipe is to communicate boost pressure to the extra fuel device on the pump wich in turn provised the appropriate amount of extra fuel which can now be burnt.
Disconnect this pipe means no additional power whatsoever - so find it and check its in good order as well as any branches off it (eg on BX for over pressure warning light!)
Air trunkimg on the inlet side of the turbo will only let in dirty air - not reduce power. The re-inforced trunking to the intercooler will affect things.
jeremy
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i had a clutch fitted to my xantia a short while after the pipe which goes to the intercooler came off and it lost a lot of power.