Xantia running temp!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

adzbaby
My Cars:

Xantia running temp!

Post by adzbaby »

I have read a fair number of posts about the running temps of 1.9td Xantias and there seems to be a fair amount of variation. Recently I serviced my car a replaced the thermostat and fan switch. I was booked out 2 different types of thermostat by the supplier.
To decide which one was right I opened the thermostat housing on a spare engine before I opened the one in the car I was servicing. It was fairly large and manufactured by 'Calorstat'. The other stat I had been supplied was smaller in size (not diameter), flatter and was more simple.
The spare engine when in situ and running, would run at a steady & consistant 80°C, however the engine I have in the car I was servicing would run cooler at 65-70°C. When I went to install the calorstat one I discovered that the old stat was the other 'simple' design.
I decided to install the calorstat one anyhow and now the engine coolant runs at a steady & consistant 80°C. So I guess the slight variation in temps that folks have would be down to the different thermostats that had been fitted. Has anyone else noticed this?
Also because of where the 80°C mark is on the temp gauge i.e in the middle, it would seem that 80°C is the correct running temp? Does anyone actually know what the recommeded running temp is for the 1.9TD? As I guess there is an 'optimum running temp' and if you were running cooler or hotter then the engine wouldn't be performing at its best.
Ta and merry crimbo to all! [:D]
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

Mine runs at 80 when warmed up and driving round town but 65-75 on the motorway unless under heavy load (going up long hills at an indicated 80mph) in which case it will rise to 80.
adzbaby
My Cars:

Post by adzbaby »

Isn't that a bit strange, having a range of temperature?
I thought that if there were any temperature variation that it would only occur above the pre-determined temp that the stat will open up at i.e. if you are revving the engine hard then it will rise above that consistent temp? and not vary when driving the car normally or when on motorways etc?
mattpc

Post by mattpc »

I don't know tbh! Having driven it this morning tho looking at the gauge I don't think it does sit as low as 65 on the motorway. Probably minimum 70, max 80
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

Mine sits at 80 once warm and only sustained welly can drive it up higher perhaps to 90-95, I once saw 110(Motorway jam in summer) before the fan switch problem was sorted.
Stewart
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

I wouldn't worry overmuch about what the number on the temp gauge says- what you are looking for is abnormal behaviour of the "it doesn't usually point there when i'm in busy traffic" variety.
Most of the cars I have had have not had numbers on the gauge anyway-the BL motors only had a short blue bit and a long red bit!!
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

According to Haynes the thermostat should start to open at 89 deg and be fully open at 99 deg.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

I think that 80 must be right, mine stays there on a normal journey, about 70-75 on the motorway, and if I'm crawling along in a jam, the fan kicks in if it goes above 85 and returns it to 80, looks the majority of us are the same.