Mileage??

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

modi
My Cars:

Mileage??

Post by modi »

Hi, I bought my Xantia 1.9TD 1994 a couple of months ago with mileage of around 75000, since then, every single person I gave a lift to said to me the mileage is not right mate, it can't be!!
Looking at the MOTs, I only have the last 5 certificates, the oldest one says the mileage is around 50000.
Is there a way that I can find out whether the mileage is correct or not? Thanks
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

could it be that the milage is correct and they are all jelous?????
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

cornishbx16v
you deserve a pint for that
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

You could check with the previous owner- the V5 will tell you who it was. If its only had a couple of owners the mileage could be correct.
Its not that unusual to have a low mileage- the car could have done 50000 very quickly on a fleet, and then sold on to a pensioner -they like diesels, they are cheap to run!!!
My BX was the same- it did 100000 in its first two years on a fleet and then took the next 13 years with its 2 pensioner owners to get up to 150000.
Is it very clean inside and very shiny or very dented outside? If so, then its been a pensionermobile and will need a good Italian tune up !!!!
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

sorry what do u mean of italian tune up??
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Italian tune up : Blow all the cobwebs out of the exhaust by using the right hand pedal for what it was intended for!
//NiSk
mbunting
My Cars:

Post by mbunting »

My AX was the reverse, probably owned by a granny and probably did 20k in the first 5 years, and then me and the previous owner have thrashed ten bells out of it !
He did about 500 - 1000 miles a week for a couple of years, and I've done about 500 a week for the last six months !
Other things to look for are stickers used by the thieves to show the mileage for the next service. Usually they are located by the door hinge, or the B pillar. Sometimes on the cross-member above the radiator, or under the sun visors.
Also, how about stamps in the service book ?
Or call the thieves on the registration plate, and ask them for a printout of thier service records.
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

I like the "thieves" word here :)
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

You can always ask the DVLA. MOT stations give the milage information to them for recording purposes just for this kind of occassion.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Stuart McB</i>

You can always ask the DVLA. MOT stations give the milage information to them for recording purposes just for this kind of occassion.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
unfortunately on one of my trips in my 309 they added 400,000 miles to the car![:o)] now that must have been a shock to the dvla, "how can someone manage 400,000 miles in a year"[:D]
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

DVLA said they don't keep records on mileages because it doesn't affect the TAX system!!! they don't give the monkey, they gave me 3 numbers to call for different companies that charge around £42.50 for checking.. I think I will convience myself that the mileage is correct as the engine sounds not bad, managed to reach 40mp/h on the second gear though..
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

Can one thrust the mileage on electronic counters? Or is it possible/easy to fake?
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Why do you have the milage recorder on the V5 then? If the DVLA dont have this info where's it going?
modi
My Cars:

Post by modi »

it goes to the other 3 companies that charge £42.5 to reveal it i think
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Thunderbird</i>

Can one thrust the mileage on electronic counters? Or is it possible/easy to fake?
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Very easy.... What milage would you like it to say <i>sir?</i>