More than one car.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ripsaw82
My Cars:

More than one car.

Post by ripsaw82 »

I noticed that some of you have more than one car. How do you afford it?
I would like to run 2 Xantia's but the cost must be stupid! Is there some special insurance you can get if you will only be driving one car at anyone time of somthing????
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

i`ve got a toyota hilux surf as a family car and a bx dieselestate(cheers bernie).
i use my no claims on the toyota and classic ins on the bx.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its a matter of priorities- when I was young at one point I was up to 4, which I would spend lots of time and money fiddling with them, because I had nothing much else to spend the money and time on.
Now I am older and have a wife kids I spend the time and money on them instead!
We have 2 cars, hers which is a new dog reliable Kia, and mine which is an old BX which I spend the minimum possible time and money on!
Years ago I would have spent hours down the scrapyard, got a fancy interior for it, polished the paint, paniced about scratches and dents, now I don't bother- as I said, its a matter of priorities and what people want to do with their time and money!!
Oscar Too
My Cars:

Post by Oscar Too »

Hi SSray
How do you go about getting classic insurance on the BX? How old is it? What company are you with? I'm thinking of getting a BX again for fun but am weighing up the costs.
Oscar
oilyspanner
My Cars:

Post by oilyspanner »

My main motor is the BX and SWMBO claimed the Volcane within hours of me purchasing it, DIY keeps the running costs down and insurance is reasonable due to our great age and good driving record, compared to the depreciation in running a newer motor we come out ahead, theres also the point that if you are running an older car a spare one is sometimes handy, merry Christmas forum folks
Stewart
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ssray</i>

i`ve got a toyota hilux surf as a family car and a bx dieselestate(cheers bernie).
i use my no claims on the toyota and classic ins on the bx.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
I'm pleased Ray[:)]
bernie
My Cars:

Post by bernie »

I'm with More Than, very restrictive (no tuning / business use etc) but cheap.
They pass my protected max NCB to second car.
Xantia HDi £330
BX Turbo £134
I'm happy[:)]
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

be careful of classic insurance. It is intended for people who attend club events etc and use the car for pleasure only. When I enquired about it (albeit many years ago) I understood that even a journey to work was outside its scope.
jeremy
davethewheel

Post by davethewheel »

i've got 2 cars the wife has a ford focus and i have the banger a xantia td, i did also have a zx volcane td which i sold to my brother and bought the focus as the wife was wanting something a bit safer. shame as i really liked driving the zx much better to drive than the focus i think. also i'm not interested in having a new car i get much more satisfaction from running a car that costs me nothing.
beezer

Post by beezer »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

be careful of classic insurance. It is intended for people who attend club events etc and use the car for pleasure only. When I enquired about it (albeit many years ago) I understood that even a journey to work was outside its scope.
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yep, a friend, who is a vet, drives a 1971 Land Rover and because he might have to use it once in a blue moon for his work he can not get classic insurance. Bummer.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

In Australia you really don't have a choice, given our state of public transport (or should I say lack of public transport) we are very dependant on the car.
I currently have 4 registered cars which is a huge financial drain.
I have the old '63ID19, this is on 'club/historic' registration, it's severaly limited use and basically not even useful even as a 'once off' use car if yours breaks down (did I mention the registration is highly restrictive to the point of being useless [:(!] ).
We have my car the CX2500 GTi Turbo, and my wifes car a boring Xantia. Out here a Xantia is still considered a quite new/modern car. It's the "good car" my wife drives.
The Xantia replaced my wifes rapidly aging BX. The only problem was my CX stopped in about the same week we intended to let the BX run out of registration .......
So now we have 4cars registered [:0] That's $1450 in just government registration fees (about 460quid Image) Then insurance is a further $1000bux (about 320quid Image)
Next year I most certainly will NOT have 4running/registered car ... nnnnooooooooooooo.
seeya,
Shane L.
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

The other major problem with "classic" insurance is the incredibly restricted mileage thats allowed-usually less than 3000 a year.As Jeremy said its mainly for pampered hobby cars, and for those of us who use old cars on a daily basis as transport because we have no choice , classic insurance is not worth considering.
How they know what mileage you do is a mystery though- presumeably if you claim they check the last MOT or something if you claim.
xantiav6

Post by xantiav6 »

Some classic insurance is better than others. My other car is a Jaguar S3 E-type V12, and the classic insurance for that, with unlimited miles (including commute) and UK/European recovery is less than half the price of the insurance on my Xantia V6 with 20,000 mile limit (and only insured for 10% of the value of the Jaguar). Explain that if you will... As I do a 100 mile daily round trip, I have to drive the Jaguar to keep the Xantia mileage within the insurance limit. Oh the pain :-;
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Insurance companies reason that if you own a classic car and it really is in collectable condition (over here in Sweden it has to be inspected and approved for classic insurance by the insurance company) then you are going to be VERY careful with it. Plus the fact that their statistics show them that clasic car owners who belong to a car club (also a requirement over here) have very few claims.
Personally my wife and I each have our everyday car - in my case an old '85 Audi 100 Avant that cost me £250 inclusive a years tax and MOT and the wife's '98 XM 2.5TD Break Exslusive - which cost £2000 as a replacement for the '93 XM TD12 I wrecked after 10 years of ownership and 530,000km.
Then we have our pension insurance - mines a recently restored (by myself) '73 Jensen Healey and hers is a '69 MGB GT that is in the process of being restored after unadvisably being used during a couple of Swedish winters while she was studying (owch - doesn't Leyland steel rust well!).
On top of that we have a small farm where we use our '52 Ferguson TE20 as an every day work horse (Strange - steel from the easrly 50's doesn't seem to rust at all!)
//NiSk
VisaGTi16v

Post by VisaGTi16v »

For me ive just got the main car insured at the moment (now the supra as the zx has gone), when the visa's back on the road again it will be insured with adrian flux on their special vehicle policy which cost me about £330 before TPFT without any noclaims as thats on my main car. Not a bad price for a competition car with an engine from a group 14 car :)