xantia front suspension not going down

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

brendan greehy
My Cars:

xantia front suspension not going down

Post by brendan greehy »

hi
i have a 93 xantia 1.9 turbo diesel , which has devoloped a fault , when i park my car the rear settles down but the front remains in the air for a while and reduces down in hight after a while eg overnight.
any ideas whats caused it and how to sort it out. any advice very gratefully recieved
Brendan
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

I don't think its anything to worry about. Your cart has no anti-sink mechanism and will fall through the small leakage in the circuit. the doseur (brake valve) is often blamed for leakage and what is happening here is that the rear leaks and falls. When the pressure drops below a certain value the safety valve will shut isolating front and back circuits. The front also falls but tends to leak a bit more slowly.
If the characteristics have changed it could be due to a sphere problem. The accumulator could be weak (or even new I think)and allow the rear to drop due to the amount of high pressure LHM stored which would top up the suspension as it leaked. The suspension spheres themselves may have some bearing as well. I have in mind that a high pressure sphere probably holds less pressurised LHM than a softer one which would stretch the diaphragm further.
If you wish to test your spheres (its quite simple) search elsewhere on this site.
Sticky front struts can also keep the front jacked up - you will find that with a small touch or vibration (eg opening a door) and the car will suddenly fall.
jeremy