Why is Xantia smoother when its cold?

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

ripsaw82
My Cars:

Why is Xantia smoother when its cold?

Post by ripsaw82 »

Can anybody tell my why when its cold in the early hours of the morning my Xantia feels so much better suspention wise, yet if i drive it during the day it can be quite rough sometimes?
Also if i put it into top suspention mode should the car rise level or should it be going up at the front then the rear following like it is at the moment?
It can alot of the time feel very "sharp" and "hard" on alot of the bumps on the road.
Its a 2.0i 94 SX, and had new spheres on a few months ago and 3 LHM changes this year with breaks bleeded and filters cleaned (the naughty thing will leak :p )
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by ripsaw82</i>

Can anybody tell my why when its cold in the early hours of the morning my Xantia feels so much better suspention wise,
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Could it be to do with the viscosity of the LHM? Shouldn't worry how it goes up, as long as it does. I've a feeling that my back end goes up first!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

The front of mine goes up first,then the rear.Although both the front & rear rise up smoothly,with no jerks.
I would agree that is maybe to do with the oil.Although last Christmas we were up in Braemar,Scotland.The temp went as low as -18c!!!The car didn`t feel different suspension wise.Couldn`t say about the steering or brakes,as the steering rack & brakes had frozen with the build up spray from the roads!
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

If has HA suspension then maybe it's the hard and soft modes.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

When the height correctors are open the pressure is the same at all points in the hydraulic system, irrespective of sphere pressure etc. The pressure is determined by the weight of the car and the mechanical advantage provided by the suspension geometry and the relative cylinder size etc. The height is determined by the height corrector, so as the end of the car reaches its proper height the corrector closes. So my BX estate always rises at the front first but might behave differently if I emptied my tools out and parked it facing downhill with an empty tank.
Providing the height correctors are functioning correctly it is of no significance which end rises first.
jeremy
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Just don't drive around with the car in the highest position - you'll knacker the suspension (or the lowest, for that matter).
//NiSk