306 exhaust/engine probs

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

TomH
My Cars:

306 exhaust/engine probs

Post by TomH »

hi
yesterday my 306 1.6 had what appeared to be a dead battery. It wouldn't turn over (perhaps 1 half turn!) Started after a jump start but since then has been very spluttery at idle.
On starting this morning it was very rough, with a massive white cloud from the exhaust, and also the bit where the exhaust comes out from the engine at the front (don't know the name, sorry!!) is burning hot straight away, complete with smoke. I'm not sure if it is meant to be like that, but it can't be good for the lambda sensor there. Any ideas?
The other problem is a loud clonking from the exhaust when changing gears or decellerating. The exhaust has been changed but I'm thinking engine mounts perhaps?
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

Hi,
It sounds like your exhaust may have come lose from the exhaust manifold (that’s the bit which attaches the exhaust to the engine). If you have had the exhaust replaced recently then one of the bolts holding the exhaust on may have fallen out.
You need to get this looked at as soon as possible, the exhaust could fall off plus it won’t be doing your CAT any favours. Then there is also the small issue of exhaust gases getting into the car and poisoning you.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

It was doing it before the exhaust was changed and didn't take long for it to do it again!
and would this explain the extreme heat from the manifold?
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

If it was doing it before the exhaust was replaced then it is most likely a leaking manifold. It maybe something as simple as one (or more) of the bolts holding it on are lose (or fallen out).
If you have exhaust gases escaping from the manifold then there will be a lot of extra heat. Normal a lot of the heat is carried off down the exhaust, if you have a leak then it will also make your engine run ruff (and also stuff up your fuel economy).
If your getting clunk from the exhaust then it sounds like the manifold it’s self isn’t attached to the engine correctly. As I said it’s better for you and your car if you get this fixed ASAP
Cheers
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

well the exhaust clunk is the minor issue now. HUGE clouds of white smoke mean I now suspect head gasket. Culd it be anything else?
oh no, not again [:(]
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

If it’s blowing white smoke, it’s most likely burnt oil or heated water (either isn’t very good news) It may be idea to have a small sniff of the cloud, if it smells of nothing in partial then it could be water, it may smell of burnt oil but if it smells like a exhaust then it maybe the manifold leaking. Check the levels of the oil and water to see if that may give you some clues.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

I think it is water, but constant and massive amounts both warm and cold, when driving and idle billowing out the back.
the good news is it is under warranty I suppose, but it's still a pisser as I have christmas shopping to do!!
chriswales6

Post by chriswales6 »

That’s not good news, I’m guessing that you have had the head gasket replaced recently. Well if it’s covered by the warranty at least that’s a bit of good news but this isn’t the time of year you need that sort of thing.
I had a bit of lucky escape on Friday, it was raining in the morning and instead of riding the MTB into work I used the car. When I got back home the bloke across the road knocked the door, during the day the handbrake had failed on his car and it rolled down the hill into my landlords house. If I had used the bike my 306 would have been on the drive and would have been hit. On reflection in some ways it would have done me a favour if it was written off, but then again a week before Christmas isn’t the ideal time.
Good luck with the car and I hope you get all the shopping done.
TomH
My Cars:

Post by TomH »

Well it hasn't gone on the 306 before, I've only had it 6 weeks!
I got shot of my previous Citroen because of a head gasket eating habit. Anyone would think I'm quite an enthusiastic driver to cause three failures in a year but I'm not that bad! [:I]
Chronic bad luck I think
cheers!