Xsara Clutch Pedal Spring

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

LeFrog
My Cars:

Xsara Clutch Pedal Spring

Post by LeFrog »

I'm having trouble getting a smooth take off in first gear. I can make it happen, but I have to release the clutch pedal SO smoothly. It's as if the spring is too strong and I'm fighting with the clutch pedal.
There seems to be no tolerance. You ever release the clutch pedal at the perfect rate or you feel the judder.
I have no other clutch problems, so think I would see an improvement if I had a weaker spring.
Any ideas/comments?
Dave Burns
My Cars:

Post by Dave Burns »

Check the mountings for the engine and gearbox first, if they are ok you could try a new cable just incase the old one doesn't slide too well, but I suspect the actual problem may be with the clutch mechanism its self.
The actual pedal spring doesn't come into play as far as the feel and smoothness of the clutch goes, simply because of the much greater power of the diaphragm spring in the clutch mechanism, thats the spring you can feel, not the one on the pedal.
If the mountings are ok and a new cable doesn't help then you are pretty much stuck with it, short of having a new clutch fitted at any rate.
Dave
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Le frong how many miles has your VTR done? Also has it ever had a clutch replacement? I'm thinking that if it's high miles then it could be due for a new clutch, or is the clutch sticking on due to slight oil ingress or old friction material?
LeFrog
My Cars:

Post by LeFrog »

Just 30,000 miles. I'm pretty sure and would expect it to be the orginial clutch. As I say, no other problems at all (gear engagement/slipping). I'm taking it in for a service in a week or so, so will run it past them. I doubt there is much they can do without dropping the gear box. The cable is new, so it definately isn't that.