passing a cable through firewall

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

passing a cable through firewall

Post by 406 V6 »

Hi!
Fellas i'm considering acquiring a subwoofer to put inside the C5's huge boot. Nothing fancy, just for optimizing the overall sound inside the car, as i'm going to change the radio to a JVC unit, KD-G701.
But, i would need to put also an amp for it, and it needs a direct connection to the battery, i think it's a 6mm dia. cable.
Does anybody know where i can find a pass-through on the firewall for it?
Many thanks!
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

whatever you do DONT use the main wiring loom gromet,its right above the BSI & you definitely dont want water in there many taxi drivers/meter instalers have made the same mistake.might be better off drilling a new hole.
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

Consider running beneath the car. I needed three cables from the battery to the rear of my Xantia when I was wiring for caravan towing. I took the power from the battery via three in-line fuses, then into the conduit that runs the length of the car. At the back end, the wires went through a grommit into the boot.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Hmm i thnk i have a rubber seal on the bottom of the spare wheel housing.
I thought about this alternative way, but i'm affraid the cable will, with time and vibration, crack the plastic and make contact with the chassis.
Beeing an HP, i should take all the ususal precautions to work under it, right?
Many thanks for your advices
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I done EXACTLY the same as JohnD when doing my towbar.I used normal insulated 12v cable,but with an outer layer of insulation.Like your household wiring.
I would put some axle stands or ramps under it "just in case".Better to be safe than sorry.
jeremy
My Cars:

Post by jeremy »

If you are concerned about chafing then either find a special double insullated cable or use som trunking or sleeving. Split trunking is available and much easier to fit. sleeving is cheap but make sure it is plenty big enough if you intend to thread it - its not easy if its tight! Also plenty of grommets and other anti chafe devices from places like Maplins.
make sure whatever you do is firmly secured (not necessarily easy under the floor unless you fasten some clips to the floor )(using pop rivets only just long enough so that the tails get lost in the carpet foam)
jeremy
JohnD
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 2010 Citroen C5-X7 tourer
1998 Citroen Saxo 1.5D
2018 Citroen C4-B7
1998 Peugeot 306. 1.9D
2011 Citroen C1

Post by JohnD »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by jeremy</i>

make sure whatever you do is firmly secured (not necessarily easy under the floor unless you fasten some clips to the floor )(using pop rivets only just long enough so that the tails get lost in the carpet foam)
jeremy
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
No need on the Xantia. There's a plastic conduit already fitted which encloses all the pipework. There's room to pull through at least three 17amp cables.