Oh, the shame!!!!

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

406 V6
My Cars:

Oh, the shame!!!!

Post by 406 V6 »

Today, at a local Peugeot meeting, i decided to take my C5 and show to those guys how one can change 2 springs/shocks (a.k.a. spheres) in 15 minutes (even less! i took 10[:)]).
So now i'm riding again with the 1.8l C5 spheres. What a ride [:D]!!!
Then i decided to make the 3 wheel ride trick.
For my shame and torture, the damn car just layed down on it's rear when i took off the jack!
The horror, i'm so ashamed!
Later a guy who told me about this, who had tryed several times on a Xantia, told me that i shouldn't have taken the suspension out of "high".
My ego is soooo down enough, like the !""#$#§£§€§£§€!!!! C5.
I'm so sad[:(][:(]
I want a decent Citroën!
Take care fellas!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by 406 V6</i>

Then i decided to make the 3 wheel ride trick.
For my shame and torture, the damn car just layed down on it's rear when i took off the jack!
I want a decent Citroën!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
You have a decent Cit - as far as I am aware they do fall down unless running (driving along) at the time of loss of wheel.
Certainly my Xant nery wobbled or swerved when I lost a back tyre at over 70 on the M55.... Unlike the old ZX in which I was truly glad I had brown pants on on the day it shed a shonky tyre valve at less than 30....
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Your wrong,
the DS will quite happily drive along on 3wheels, the CX will however it hasn't got the torsional strength of a DS, so it wouldn't be nice to the car.
The BX can badly (says he who had a stripped stub axle back there). You can only bounce along slowly on high.
I imagine the Xantia SX would drive **easily** on 3wheels due to the enormous torsional strength in it's body. I'm not sure how the VSX/Activa suspension would handle having a wheel missing.
The C5 doesn't have proper hydraulics, don't try any of the old tricks with it. No high pressure brakes, no main pump, no daravi steering, no nothing really ........... Though I'm sure it's still a nice car [:)]
seeya,
Shane L.
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

Well it has several pumps: water, oil, fuel, steering and suspension!
At least it's complicated (and, as i was told, and with your view, as good or worse as the BX on 3 wheels - something it's good at! [:D][:D] )
ripsaw82
My Cars:

Post by ripsaw82 »

what is this 3 wheel trick ? Are you saying that if i was driving along the motorway in my Xantia and the type fell of or a blew a tyre i would not even notice and i would drive along quite merry?
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote">what is this 3 wheel trick ? Are you saying that if i was driving along the motorway in my Xantia and the type fell of or a blew a tyre i would not even notice and i would drive along quite merry?<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
There's a story (which might be apocryphal) of a DS driver who noticed a wheel bowling down the motorway past him. Hoving got over the surprise, he thought nothing more of it until stopped a few miles later by the police. Turns out that a tyrefitter had left all the wheelnuts loose, and it was his own rear wheel.
True or not, the principle's correct!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

Ripsaw82,i have towed our caravan at 70 mph in Italy for 12 miles before i found out it had had a blowout!I heard a noise as we came off the motorway & onto another one.After about 12miles,i had to pull over to see what the noise was.The rear tyre was JUST hanging onto the wheel rim!There was no difference in the way the car drove.I `d hate to think what would have happend in a "normal" car.
Only in October i left work one day & noticed the rear tyre was half flat.I pumped it up & set off home,about 40 miles.After about 20m`s,i went across a roundabout & the rear off the car felt funny.I pulled over & the tyre was completly flat.Before the roundabout i had been doing 90mph.
DoubleChevron
My Cars:

Post by DoubleChevron »

Hi Guys,
about 6months ago a freind picked up his (new to him) '59 DS19 from up north in Australia. He spent a couple of weeks at another freinds house up there getting it ready for the 1000+mile trip home. However they completely missed something ...
He's driving along a narrow road at about 75mph and there's a strange sound and vibration that's steadily getting worse. He slows to about 55mph and keeps driving as there is nowhere to pull off. Next thing the vibration stops and he sees a wheel disappearing into a distant paddock that looked suspiciously like a Citroen wheel with a 50's DS hubcap attached....
The car didn't swerve or move, he gently lifted off the accelerator and came to a gentle stop pulling off to the side of the road as much as he could. He got out to find the <b><font size="4"><font color="green">FRONT</font id="green"></font id="size4"></b> wheel had never been tightened and was gone !! [:0] [:0]
The w a n k tank (4wheel drive) following him pulled over the driver absolutely stunned to see the DS was happily sitting there with the motor idling on 3wheels ... No doubt the w a n k tank would have rolled down the road killing everyone onboard if that happened in it.
Just imagine how surprised they were after a long hike to retrieve the wheel to see the car lift itself up high in the air, the wheel get put back on (this time tightened) then ready to drive in bugger all time [:D]
The combination of center point steering, and the brilliance of the citroen high pressure suspension has saved a lot of lives [:)] It's just a pitty there so determined to go backwards with all the new tedious modern cr@p [:(] No daravi, no center point steering, no hydraulic suspension... Infact the C1 is actually a toyata ... yes really, it's on a toyota's platform [:(!] [}:)]
Hang onto the oldies, 'cos there's going to be none made like them again.
seeya,
Shane L.
Huwbruin
My Cars:

Post by Huwbruin »

Back in 1980, when the GS gave way to the GSA, Citroen Cars ran an ad on TV in the UK. This showed a GSA running at speed; an explosive charge then blew out one of the tyres and the car then made a manouvre to avoid an obstacle. (If my memory serves me well - it was 24 years ago....)[:0]
The car performed as if all tyres were still properly inflated.
Of course the GSA also has hub centre steering geometry and wishbone suspension....
I guess all previous standard hydropneumatic Citroens would have doen the 3 wheel trick successfully, but the C5 does things differently.
The phrase "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind.[;)]
406 V6
My Cars:

Post by 406 V6 »

I'll try the trick again, but this time at home.
The main problem will be the §£@§@£4"#! suspension ECU. If i pass above 10kms/h, the d@rn thing will lower the suspension [:(]. Crash!
Any more stories like the ones above? I'm enjoying it soooo much![:D][:D][:D]
bxbodger
My Cars:

Post by bxbodger »

Its a myth!!!!
The cars cope easily with a blowout because the suspension compensates, but there's still four wheel contact with the road -in this context hydro-pneumatic is just an expensive version of a Denovo rim and tyre.
Any car with a stiff enough body and good weight distribution can be made to drive on three wheels just by putting a heavy enough counterbalancing weight at the other corner.
I posted about this on general chat, lots of people knew someone who knew someone else who had done it, or seen the publicity films, but no-one had actually done it themselves!!!!
Publicity films show a lot of things- offroading allegro's are one thing that comes to mind, men bouncing on BX bonnets, the MER polish man setting a fire on the freshly waxed car without marking the paint, but reality is somewhat different!!!!!!!
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

Its a myth!!!!
the MER polish man setting a fire on the freshly waxed car without marking the paint, but reality is somewhat different!!!!!!!<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Yes I tried that one on my Sprite - DONT.[:(]
Robin
My Cars:

Post by Robin »

Oooh, yes, done this one when I was a likkle likkle fellow on holiday with my Aunt, Mum, Dad (driving) sister and me in the back of a Morris 8 tourer. The OS half shaft complete with wheel drifted out left the car and sat spinning like a top in the road.
Dad retrieved it bent an old sixpence (from my pocket money which is why I remember it!) over the half shaft end and hammered it back in. I think the secret was nothing to do with wonderful suspension, more likely my 15 stone aunt in the front passenger seat. Speed was bit more sedate to, possibly 30 mph, just! An older wiser R.
ssray
My Cars:

Post by ssray »

on my way home from my new purchase,sitting at 80 up hills even(old 205d struggled) got to the m25 roadworks bit(no not all of it)and at about 40 my front wheel fell off,front of bx hit the deck and i slowed to a stop in o/side lane,thinking i cant stay here i drove to the chevrons for on slip,parked up.
the car had run on its break disk and nothing had scraped the deck.
i found the wheel and studs more or less together,checked them,got recoverd bolted on wheel,drove 10 miles checked studs all ok.
drove home,checked next day nothing appeared out of order,and is still running ok.
Huwbruin
My Cars:

Post by Huwbruin »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bxbodger</i>

Its a myth!!!!
Publicity films show a lot of things- offroading allegro's are one thing that comes to mind, men bouncing on BX bonnets, the MER polish man setting a fire on the freshly waxed car without marking the paint, but reality is somewhat different!!!!!!!
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Are you saying Citroen LIED to us?[:0]
And I believed them...[:I][:I]
Another illusion shattered....[:D]