306 temp running high

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

darren.taylor36
My Cars:

306 temp running high

Post by darren.taylor36 »

Can anyone tell me what temp my 98(R) 306 1.9 D Turbo should be running at under normal conditions.
At the moment it seems to be running high at around the 90 mark & when in traffic can go higher but is brought back down when the fan kick's in.
I've only had the car 3 weeks, but I'm sure it didn't run this high when I first got it.
I'm thinking of changing the thermostat as this is the only thing my knowledge of cars can direct me to.
Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

These engines should run at about 80-85 on the gauge and rising to around 90 in traffic.
It does look as though yours is running a little high, but all engines can be slightly different and the gauge is not super accurate.
Might be worth getting the cooling system flushed and the rad flow tested to make sure there are no obstructions/scale deposits.
darren.taylor36
My Cars:

Update on the temp issue.
For the last couple of drives the temp has been OK (80-85) on Motorway for 30-40 mins until I hit traffic, then temp rises to 90.
Shortly after the temperature guage becomes very irratic jumping around between 80-100 both in traffic & on M/way & D/Cway.
Could this be a sign that there is an air lock, the thermostat is faulty or the temp guage sender is faulty?
darren.taylor36
My Cars:

I've went to get a thermostat & temperature sensor today, no thermostats in stock so I ordered one & just got the sensor.
I fitted it when I got home & the car now runs at 75, rising to 80-85 in traffic.
I'm not sure if I believe this, gonna have to check temp with a thermometer.
Will it give an accurate indication if i just put it into the radiator header tank?
darren.taylor36
My Cars:

Changed thermostat & temp now runs happily half way between 80 & 85......perfect.
Looks like thermostat was faulty causing engine to run cool & the dodgy sensor was telling me it was running high.......go figure.
Happy now[:D]