Xantia HDI temp warning lamp

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

MarkD

Xantia HDI temp warning lamp

Post by MarkD »

Hi,
I have a 2000 model Xantia 2 litre HDI. It has just started to flash the "STOP" message on the dash and the warning lamp on the temp guage flashes. I have checked the oil and water levels and they are fine, the water is clean etc. The warning will come on as soon as the engine is started, before its got any heat into it. The engine runs fine, no smoke, no vibrations, no nasty noises, starts first time etc etc. When the lamp came on I was driving home, the temp needle was just below 90 (as always), so I have no idea what the problem could be.
Any ideas?
pwatson
My Cars:

Post by pwatson »

Strangely enough my wife's Xantia HDi did this last week. She rang me up in a bit of a panic half way back from the supermarket to ask what she should do - I said to drive home slowly and I would check the levels when she got home (3 miles or so)Anyway, by the time she got home it had stopped, water levels and temp were OK and it hasn't done it since. I also wonder what it means
Stempy
My Cars: C5 V6 Mk1 assainated by wife
Renault Kangoo 1.6 auto, tarted up and remapped
Still missing the Xantia V6
Not missing the AX

Post by Stempy »

could be a dodgy temp sensor, I had to change mine for the same problem.
wheeler
My Cars:

Post by wheeler »

possible green temp sensor in thermostat housing faulty,also check that both cooling fans turn freely by hand & check the 3 relays & their plugs located in between the two fans for corrosion.
MW
My Cars:

Post by MW »

My 1.8 16V did it a few years ago, just after midnight on the M4, in the rain. Nice! I pulled over, found no sign of anything wrong (no bubbling noises, antifreeze smells etc), and so I carried on at a steady fifty. In about half a mile it went out and stayed out. The next morning I unlugged and re-plugged the sensor, and I assume that was all it was because I never had it again.
rossd
My Cars:

Post by rossd »

Just reading the tech documents on the HDi and the Stop light will flash if the ECU detects a break in the wiring on the temp sensor or the fan control sensor. Stop light will be continuous in an overheat situation.
Simon Canfer
My Cars:

Post by Simon Canfer »

Which "tech documents"? I'd be interested in these if they're even vaguely useful.
Simon