So I got my car and need a little help...

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

stevieb5796
My Cars:

So I got my car and need a little help...

Post by stevieb5796 »

Hey,
Picked up my car yesterday and gave it a decent run tonight as I had to go over to Brighton. It took me a little bit to get used to the clutch etc but now I'm driving it pretty smoothly. It's a 1.9TD M reg. I do however have two problems....
For some reason when you get over 30 MPH the speedo starts ticking, the faster you go the faster it ticks, I noticed that the needle seems to wobble ever so slightly in time with the tick too. Definitely comeing from the speedo. Sounds as though something is catching. It works fine, so more of a niggle really, but anyone got any ideas?
The second one is this. There's an orange light that flashes on the dashboard whenever I start the car. Flashes for around 15-20 secs then turns off. I read it up in the manual and it says if this flashes for more than about 15 secs to check oil level. So anyway, the garage I got the place from did a levels check etc (along with replacing suspension spheres and a new MOT, bang went their profit on that car I think) and when I checked the oil like the manual said I had loads.
I phoned Citroen in my area and asked them. They said to check coolant as that can sometimes trigger it too and if not then not to worry as it's probably a dodgy sensor. I haven't got round to checking my coolant level yet as it was dark, but the engine temperature didn't go anywhere above half way up the guage thing so I doubt there's a problem, and like I said the garage did a levels check anyway. So any suggestions? Is it normal for this light to flash on and off for a few seconds at first? To my mind if it was a dodgy sensor it would flash constantly and not stop at all?
Any help would be most appreciated. Thanks :)
stevieb5796
My Cars:

Post by stevieb5796 »

Oh yeah I forgot to mention, the front fog lights don't seem to work. Not a huge problem really, but the button inside the car lights up when I push it in but the lights don't come on. Dodgy bulbs? Or something else? I'll have to look into it, my girlfriend works at halfords so I can get her staff discount on stuff lol
ACTIVE8
My Cars:

Post by ACTIVE8 »

Hi, please can you tell us the actual model, I am guessing that you are refering to an Xantia.
NiSk
My Cars:

Post by NiSk »

Could be that the fog lights only work in combination with e.g. dipped or rear fog lights? otherwise check bulbs - they're rather exposed down there!
Can you seee any form of symbol on the lamp that flashes?
//NiSk
P 2501

Post by P 2501 »

What does the light lok like? i mean does it have a picture on it?
sounds to me like the air bag light - right colour and they do have a habit of flashing on and off like this. other possibilities might be the water in fuel light or ABS, i think they are the same colour.
Need a bit more info!
dnsey

Post by dnsey »

If it is the oil level light, they are inclined to flash if the car is parked on anything but a level surface, as the sensor is right at one 'edge' of the sump. If the dipstick shows the correct level (and it's the right stick!), I wouldn't worry about it.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by dnsey</i>

If it is the oil level light, they are inclined to flash if the car is parked on anything but a level surface, as the sensor is right at one 'edge' of the sump. If the dipstick shows the correct level (and it's the right stick!), I wouldn't worry about it.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
My ZX does that if you park with the driver's side lower, even if the oil level is spot on. Symbol on light looks like a campsite shower symbol [:)] Oh, yes. What car are we talking about?
Your speedo tick is probably the cable needing a spot of grease, but might be the head itself.
HTH
stevieb5796
My Cars:

Post by stevieb5796 »

Sorry lol totally forgot to put what the model was and give a description of the light...
It's a Xantia, the speedo ticking seems to be getting a little quieter actually, well today I didn't notice it too much anyhow. Either I'm getting used to it or it's sorting itself out lol. At the end of the day it works and that's all that matters. I'll probably try and grease it when I get a chance.
As to the oil light, the picture on it looks a little bit like a shepherds crook with a couple of lines (that's how the guy at the citroen garage explained it to me on the phone lol). It flashes for a little bit and then goes off, seems to go off roughly about the time the car has risen. All of the levels seem fine, and the car rises quickly so fingers crossed it's ok.
I'll get hold of some new bulbs for the fog lights from halfords and give that a go....
The last thing is, someone seems to have turned my alarm off as it doesn't activate, I have heard people talking about some key or something under the bonnet? Anyone care to elaborate. Thanks.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Hi Stevie, you've got the same car as myself. The alarm keylock is located under the bonnet under the small cover in the top right hand corner of the engine area as you're looking at it. (under the passenger side). Also, my oil level warning indicator has done the flashy bit for the last two years and the car does not use any oil, only changed on it's service, nothing to worry about, just check your levels regularly. Mine tends to flash when I've just done a run and restart the engine when it's still warm.
tonyb1
My Cars:

Post by tonyb1 »

Also, you can reset the alarm by pressing the alarm button on the right of the steering wheel on the dash, hold it in for a bit, might do the trick.
DervDonkey
My Cars:

Post by DervDonkey »

The keylock under the bonnet only turns the sounder on/off. It does NOT affect the rest of the alarm system's functionality. If you trip the alarm with the sounder switched off the headlamps will still flash, etc. If the red LED in the centre of the dash isn't flashing then you've got other problems - plenty of advice elsewhere on this forum! Point to note - if it's been disabled, it was probably done for a good reason; again, look at the alarm topics - although I've had 2 Xantias of this age and neither have had alarm problems.
dan.2cv
My Cars:

Post by dan.2cv »

My xantia did the flashing light thing too, just ignore it and check it manually now and again!!
The foglamps will only work when you have either the side or dips on too. I take it you've checked any relevant fuses. Check the foglight bulbholder for power before you renew the bulbs (with a test light)I'm not sure if they have their own relay, but it might be worth a check too.
Of course, someone may have just stuck front fogs on a car that didn't have them and never wired them in!!
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I have found the oil level light on mine to be very sensotive(?).Just a tiny bit under the level,the light will come on.I`ve also had the light on when the level seemed to be spot on.I just put a tiny bit more oil in it,which kept the light off.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Aargh! the old ZX td did the oil light thing. Run over an ant and the 'low level' warning was on, oooooh yes it would then start to flash for the rest of the journey. Stop then re start all ok.