AX Petrol - Hunting

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Panjandrum
My Cars:

AX Petrol - Hunting

Post by Panjandrum »

1 litre petrol AX, 1996, Dimension.
Starts OK. Ticks over OK. Driving at low revs OK. A bit more accelerator and it goes woah woah woah (sorry about the technical term). Bit more accelerator and it revs away OK. So it can be driven at extremely sedate speeds or like a lunatic boy-racer but nowhere in between.
Took the air filter connection off the carb (remember those) and no change in behaviour.
In a rush tonight so that's all I can look at before off to do the family pick-up.
Any suggestions very welcome.
PJ
jonathan_dyane

Post by jonathan_dyane »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by Panjandrum</i>

Took the air filter connection off the carb (remember those) and no change in behaviour.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Erm, don't these have single point fuel injection? If so, the 'carb' is in fact the throttle body, and houses a crude single injector thingy.
The problem is probably something that needs cleaning, but my knowledge of petrol fuel injection is nil, so I cannot be more specific I'm afraid...
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Erm, you could well be right[:I][:I]
It was dark and wet and it isn't my own car (car belong son who is mechanically illiterate).
Ignoring my mis-description, the problem sounds like either fuel or air starvation but only at a particular range of throttle opening - or foot down on the accelerator. Lifting the connection from air filter to fuel input device (of whatever kind) didn't help.
Next step will probably be to check the fuel filter or pump - but I was kind of hoping some of the gurus here would come up with the answer overnight.
He roared away down the park last night no problem, but if he gets in traffic that requires the foot to be in the relevant range, he'll be bouncing along and shaking to bits.
PJ
ItDontGo
My Cars:

Post by ItDontGo »

Something to do with the throttle solenoid or maybe the throttle potentiometer I would expect. The 'carb' is actually single point injection unit.
Panjandrum
My Cars:

Post by Panjandrum »

Son finally got around to sorting this problem. His friendly neighbourhood fixer said it probably needed a new injection unit, but as this would cost £137, suggested getting this confirmed before buying and installing. Son then took his AX to the Cit Dealer for diagnosis!!!! Three hours later they came back and said they had found a "loose motor in the injection unit" and fixed it. £37. Well I guess they hadn't spent 3 hours on the job, but on the other hand son is feeling at least £100 better off than he had expected.
leonard1
My Cars:

Post by leonard1 »

Sounds like a typical AX to me! On the M4 yesterday I kept it at about 65mph as it prefers that ...