205 1.6GTI alternator/battery problems?

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

davidt83

205 1.6GTI alternator/battery problems?

Post by davidt83 »

Hi
I have just got myself a J-Reg Peugeot 205 GTI, and it seems to 'cook' batteries..
Basically after driving it back from where i bought it i noticed a strong smell of 'rotten eggs' (hard not to really!), so I thought sulpher fumes.
On checking out the battery it was 'gassing' quite badly, with white fumes being chucked out of the vents in the battery. I initially thought to just replace it and bought a brand new 3 year guaranteed battery and everything seemed to be fine for a while (2/3 weeks). But it has recently started this gassing again..
There doesnt seem to be another problem like this on these forums, would really appreciate some ideas as to what could be causing this and how I might be able to sort it!
Few other things that might be relevent are :
There is an alarm fitted to the car but the imoboliser on the key fob no longer works (despite a new battery) and so the alarm siren has just been unplugged.. quite literally (possible short?).
When the car is idling the headlights become dim, and brighten noticably when revved.
Also another issue I have noticed is really poor fuel consumption (Im not sure what I can expect from a 1.6GTI anyway, but it seems a little thirsty).
Plus it does smell very fumey, as if it was running very rich, but the spark plugs werent sooted badly. This seems to go as far as when started from cold it idles poorly and from what I can guess 'clogs up' and makes it idle poorly whilst warm aswell until it has been given a bit of revs... and this seems to clean it out so to speak and it will run normally - aside from the battery troubles..
Sorry if this is a bit confused, this is my first experience of 205 ownership!
Cheers
Dave
beezer

Post by beezer »

Gassing battery has to be overcharging problem. The acid in the battery is sulphuric. I would suspect the alternator. Regulator/diodes in fact. I wouldn't have expected dim lights at idle though.
Peter D
My Cars:

Post by Peter D »

Sounds like the voltage regulator on the alternator is away. Drive the car for 10 mins then leave running and measure the voltage across the battery is more than 14.5 than there is you problem. If the DC voltage is only 13.5 os but the battery is venting then the diode pack is away any and an AC content of the charge is giving the battery a hard time. You will destroy the new battery quite easily. Get and exchange alternator and away you go. Regards Peter
davidt83

Post by davidt83 »

Cheers for the quick response guys, one thing though, is the voltage regulator built into the alternator? and the diode pack is that seperate aswell??
I will check the voltage across the battery on the weekend, just need my mates multimeter, and the either the diode pack or voltage regulator is screwed will it be easier (and not considerably more expensive) just to source a new alternator.
One other thing are those products which claim to clean out your injectors worth using?
beezer

Post by beezer »

If the alternator is like the one on the diesel 205 you can get a brush/diode/regulator pack. I got one back in 1999 and it cost me 12 quid. Usually easier to fit a scrap alternator. I don't know about cleaning petrol injection systems with additives. Many of these formulas work with diesels. Useful just before MOT.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Try some STP injector cleaner in a tank of juice. It seemed to clear a rough idel problem my Xsara had. Also go for a quick oil 'n' filter change as the air filter may be blocked. If it smells rich (fummy) and runs rough even when warm this could then be possibly something on the cold start side of the engine not cutting out when hot and sticking full on when cold. How's the tempreture when driving? Could be a new thermostat ot temp ECU sender unit (sensor) needs fitting. Could also be a problem withthe idel speed motor or valve or even the imfamous MAP sensor being blocked up. What engine is fitted in the 1.6 GTi?
Mi16chap
My Cars:

Post by Mi16chap »

Its an XU5J.
Any alternator from an XU engine should be upto the job if you want a replacement, If you goto a scrapyard or get a spare make note of how many grooves the pulley has on your alt, as some used 3 and some had 4 grooves for the alternator belt.
As for the idle dont expect it to idle properly, they never do! Its the crappy Jetronic injection system to blaim for that, sometimes changing the SAD (Supplimentary air device) can help fix it, also the Air flow meter is often the cause of lumpy idle, it may need reconditioning, but this is a little tricky and they break easily if tampered with.
Id live with the lumpy idle and forget about it when having fun out driving the car on some twisties!