BP ultimate diesel

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

p20

BP ultimate diesel

Post by p20 »

BP claim that their ultimate diesel, will be more powerful, more economical and kinder to the enviroment.[:0]
Well, after trying it in my Xantia, i can't tell any difference. It did exactly the same mpg(48) as normal. Can't vouch for more performance as i didn't drive the car hard enough. So presumably other than lining BP's pockets, the flowers and trees in my area are more grateful i spent that bit extra on my fuel.[:o)] I won't be bothering again, but would like to know if anyone else has tried it. I have used super unleaded(in older cars), which <b>did</b> give better performance(therefore better economy because the car wasn't driven so hard), but the cost of super basically made it slightly more expensive than normal. Oh and the engine ran hotter - not something that happened with the diesel.
cornishbx16v

Post by cornishbx16v »

i havent used the diesel version as i dont have one! but as for the petrol one i have put a few tanks through the ol girl and found it did make a difference, a lot smoother reving and a bit quicker, but not enough imo to makew it worth wile for the extra cost!
reffro
My Cars:

Post by reffro »

I've used Ultimate Diesel in my C3 HDi, and it did exactly what BP said it would. More power and more economical, particularly noticable is an increase in torque, as my car pulls harder at lower revs on Ultimate. Ultimate though works best on the latest generation common-rail diesels and PD engines. I used it for 3 months though, and only noticed the difference when I went back to normal diesel for one tank, as my cars performance disappeared. I have however stuck with nice old Total diesel since then, as its 10pence litre cheaper where I am. In Harrow Ultimate is 92.9ppl, 5 miles away towards Watford, Total diesel is 82.9ppl....
AlWilliams
My Cars:

Post by AlWilliams »

I've used BP ultimate Diesel a couple of times before in my ZX, it made my car worse to drive with a slower response and rougher acceleration.
Back on Sainsbury's now. Much better (and loads cheaper).
John F
My Cars:

Post by John F »

Have just started on my first tank of BP Ultimate Diesel and have done 120 miles; I must say the car seems quicker but the crunch will come when the mpg is compared to the Shell fuel I normally use
Thunderbird

Post by Thunderbird »

I've made some tests with BP Ultimate and normal BP diesel on my 2.0HDi.
There is indeed an increase in the engine response, but in it does not justify the price difference. My father has an older diesel engine and notes no difference, so it should work better on common rail engines.
However, when using fully Ultimate BP, the engine gets more silent, much more pleaseant to ears. [:)]
And this is an important aspect for me, as I don't like the noise the HDi does (well, if it was a petrol V6 or V8, I would open the window the hear better...[}:)]).
pete_wood_uk
My Cars:

Post by pete_wood_uk »

Any more updates on Ultimate Diesel? I've just run 2 tankfuls through my HDi 110 and seen no significant improvement in economy (and we'd need to be talking "significant" in order to make up for the price premium) and I'm damned if I can feel a difference in power or response. The HDi seems to do about 47mpg regardless of fuel or trip type (but I never do a lot of town work), though I must admit I no longer use supermarket diesel...
Cheers
Pete
wotsupnow
My Cars:

Post by wotsupnow »

Maybe I'm wrong but........
I bought a company car when it was being replaced here. I know the driver who had it from new and he was a skin flint, he used the cheapest diesel he could get ( generally Tesco ). I got the car with 90,000 miles on it ( 5yr old ). The immobiliser on the injection pump developed a fault and I ended up transporting it to a Citroen dealer for repair ( pump cct coded to ecu so not a diy job ). when they got it running they said it's really lumpy, whilst it's semi dismantled how about taking the pump off again and letting a Bosch dealer nearby test the pump ? .I said ok and off it went, Bosch found it was down in pressure and the diesel coming out of it was foaming. They found it was badly scored inside and said it was typical of using low sulphur diesel with no additives, the process of removing the sulphur also removes lubricants from the fuel. I had it rebuilt and it's run great since on shell diesel which is similar to BP ultimate but costs same as Asda ( at least in Bacup it does ). See my post re welding and the emissions test at it's mot yesterday ( post 18th feb 2005 ) to see how well it's running now.
I used to have a Picasso hdi as a company car and ran that on Q8 city diesel for ages, I switched to shell and found it felt much perkier and mpg went up by about 3-4mpg.
So maybe there is something in using diesel with additives.
Pete
np
My Cars:

Post by np »

I had a new Rover 200 TD in 1999.I found that by running it on "normal" shell diesel,not low sulphur,that it seemed to go a bit better,& smoke less.Now though,all you can seem to get is low sulphur or city diesel.
Forth
My Cars:

Post by Forth »

Have found both the ZX and Xantia (R and P reg, both 1.9 TD) to be quieter and smoother using the ultimate. Much the same as if an off the shelf bottle of additive/cleaner had been put in. That's on both local running and long distance.... been pretty difficult to assess if fuel consumption is any better though, because of the recent gale force headwinds etc.