Which Bl**dy Pi**ock did that to the AX

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

martyhopkirk

Which Bl**dy Pi**ock did that to the AX

Post by martyhopkirk »

Discovered why the AX is so cold. Why there is only a tiny tiny vestige of heat escaping from the vents....
There is NO <s>spoon</s> matrix.....
<i>
Its been replaced by a couple of jubilee clips and a small lenghth of copper pipe.</i>[:(!][:(!][:(!]
I have no idea if the matrix is still in there (probably) but presently the two pipes that come through the bulkhead (clutch pedal just in exactly the right place to cause maximum grief there) are u-bended off. Thankfully it seems I dont have to remove all the dashboard (as i did with the Laguna) but just the clutch pedal(!!!!)
Looks like a weekend of bleeding knuckles awaits.[:(!]
In the mean time just to alarm all you H&S fiends - I am warming the car using a sungas 1.1KW gas heater in the passenger footwell.[:0]
beezer

Post by beezer »

Why not connect a domestic radiator between the halved copper pipe. Dry your socks while you drive.
Jon

Post by Jon »

You can save time by getting the AX matrix with detachable pipes, you can do these without wholesale dismantling, unlike the (cheaper) fixed pipe version.
Dave Bamber
My Cars:

Post by Dave Bamber »

Classic bit of Yeeharr bodgery. I think a best/worst bodge thread coming on.....
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Actually Jon - you have saved me a Q there - was going to ask which one for a 96 1.5 D but if they both fit and the detachable pipe one will fit with less grief all round then i will go fo that!
Cheers.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

Ordered a heater matrix (flexi -pipe one).
Can you guess what I will be doing Xmas eve?
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

After much swearing, cursing and getting thoroughly cold and wet we now have heat.
The detachable pipe version whilst costing a tenner more certainly made the job easier.
Had to graft in an extra lenghth of pipe due to previous bodgery - but all now water tight and working again. gas fire placed on sabatical untill next camping trip.
Stuart McB
My Cars:

Post by Stuart McB »

Hooray!. And the winner is...... well it's the heater really isn't it. That car wont love you for all this attention you know. It'll just get up to a really nice run and then sick up it's oil or H/G just to spite you. It knows you care.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

This is true - The ZX I didnt care about or love... It knew it and decided taht in order to live it would have to behave (it did).
The Xantia I cosset and as a result seem to be spending an ever steady flow of cash on it... I fear the same will apply to the AX....
I need to learn to hate it!
turbolag

Post by turbolag »

Ah, Marty - I shouldn't laugh at your predicament...
...but I can't help it! Sorry!
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

Now I have to confess something.... I read a copy of, The Sun. Well not so much read but spilt coffee over which made me open it up. The glorious readers post away offer, was for a 200w ceramic heater, which sits on the off the dash, and plugs in the ciggy lighter. I recall this discussion before of old vechicles using such devices. The Sun's offer price, £19.99. I might risk it, and get one for the 504, as the fan and heater on a frosty morning would be hopeless, until the derv burner really gets hot. Questions is a 200w drain on the ciggy lighter plug going to be stustainable? and are there any other makes/models on the high street.
Cheers Mat.
martyhopkirk

Post by martyhopkirk »

DONT waste your money - I have a 160W version you can ghave for a fiver and the postage.
They wont drain the battery that much if its in rude health.
They are however - sh1*e. They dont do what it says on the tin, I have had two, both as bad as each other. But if you want one its yours. I did find a small gas heater (again I now have one spare) worked a treat.
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by bikeboyz</i>

Now I have to confess something.... I read a copy of, The Sun. Well not so much read but spilt coffee over which made me open it up. <hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Good man, Mat - second best thing to do with it! [}:)]
uhn113x
My Cars: 1981 Dyane - on road all year round.
1982 GSA Pallas - on road April - September.
1997 ZX 1.9D Dimension.

Post by uhn113x »

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by martyhopkirk</i>

DONT waste your money - I have a 160W version you can ghave for a fiver and the postage.
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></blockquote id="quote"></font id="quote">
Still draws 13.3 amps, though, Marty - couple of hours and your battery will be well down.
Maybe a better bet would be a Coleman catalytic heater - never sold in UK, though. It is about 10 inches in diamteer and 9 inches high, has no moving parts, and runs on unleaded. Tank with a gauze dome on top - you tip it up until material under gauze is wet with petrol, then light it. After a minute or so, flame has gone out, and gauze glows a dull red, invisible in daylight. Put top back on, and that is it.
I have one which will soon be up for sale or swap for a ZX towbar [;)]
bikeboyz
My Cars:

Post by bikeboyz »

The "sun" jobby was a fan heater I forgot to mention, and the picture of it was sat on a 206 dash. It was the size of the domed centre bit which houses the clock.